Gern's 2nd Cross of Iron

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
N

noble

Dave this looks like a cracker of a kit, question are you going to add zimmeritt paste to the hull?

scott

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Hi Scott,

According to Wikipedia, Zimmerit was officially discontinued in 1944 and the paint schemes given by Revell are for 1945. So no zimmerit!

And that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it! lol

What d'you think I am? Some kind of modeller? Zimmerit's waaaaayyyyy beyond me at the moment. Maybe when I've had a bit more practise - say about another ten years!

Gern

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Well I got the thing built ready for painting. Not the most brilliant kit in the world with parts wrongly numbered, non-existent parts, parts that won't go where they are shown because other parts are in the way, and parts with no locating marks or pegs. But it's not hugely complicated so most of these were fairly easy to solve and generally the fit was very good with little or no flash. As it's a tank, the one or two areas that need filling will be dirtied up to hide them.

Unlike some of the other tank builds I've seen recently, there are absolutely no interior details at all so I've buttoned up all the hatches.

Gern

View attachment 25752

View attachment 25753

View attachment 25754

View attachment 25755

View attachment 25756

IMGP0065.jpg

IMGP0066.jpg

IMGP0069.jpg

IMGP0067.jpg

IMGP0068.jpg

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Dave

Nice clean build, looks like it's coming together really well.

Paul

R

rogue-one

very nice tank! shame about the camo. would've looked great. can't wait to see it painted up your way tho.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Don't anybody ever mention individual track links!!!!!!!!!

192 of the b****y things. Each one with 15 - count them - places to be checked for flash and cleaned up before you even start to think about how to join them to get them looking realistic!

Thought I'd have a break and look at the next part of my Mig 29. Decals! 100s of 'em!

Some parts of this hobby are better than others.

Gern

F

Fenlander

Don't anybody ever mention individual track links!!!!!!!!!
Not had that pleasure as yet. Tamiya 1:48 use 'length and link' so you get the top and bottom run in one and then double or single links to go around the wheels, nice and simple when you have done a few.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
That's what I'll be looking for in future!

I'm making progress though. Six hours work and I've got a quarter of the links ready to start gluing!

Gern

M

msm2

Looking good Dave. May have to try and find this kit,I have the 1/76 scale kit in the stash.

Tony

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Dave

That's a nice looking hard-edged camo scheme, once the weathering is done it's going to look amazing. Stick with the individual track links Dave they are worth it in the end. Also, if you think they are bad you should try the Model Kasten Sherman track links - 6 parts to each link, all of which need clean up!!!

All the best mate

Paul