Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
I reckon gern is the sane man in an insane world :smiling3:

C

CDW

\ said:
PS So you do remember our 'enry then Col!
Oh yeah ... As he used to say :smiling3:

Met him once at the pub I worked at in 1981, he was promoting a junior boxing club in the area and came to the pub for a meal, he stayed behind after hours and chatted with us all for a bit.... The thing I noticed most were his hands... They were smeggin' huge!!

The olde bulls head was the pub and we had regular visits from people like Pete shilton, Gordon banks and the group showwaddywaddy. Fun times :smiling3:

\ said:
I reckon gern is the sane man in an insane world :smiling3:
I concur :smiling3:

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Let's see. I started with a nice, simple idea of doing one bug and one human on a simple base with some sand and rocks.

So far I've included resin, vinyl and plastic kits. I have used, or will be using wood, insulation foam, wire and welding rods, bits from my spares box and my decals spares, ready-made parts, home-made bits, budgie grit, fishtank gravel and brambles. Included in this lot are 1/72, 1/48, 1/35, 1/24 and what I think is 1/12th scales.

I've sculpted Milliput, moulded Plaster of Paris, modified figures, cut and shaped foam insulation and made and used my own washes, using both powder paint and acrylics - none of which I'd ever done before - and I'm about to use an assortment of scenery materials I've never used before either.

I've even managed to include the most vital ingredient of a dio - a bucket!

And all this on top of creating not just one, but two story lines - one of which provides definitive proof of something we all know but have so far been unable to prove!

Alan, if that's what you need to do to be considered sane, can I go back to gibbering please?

Gern

First Name
Andy
Well I guess this will teach me for not paying closer attention, this is certainly one that is now out there...o_O

Now watching closely...

Andy...

S

Sky Raider

Looking good Dave. All this extra stuff you have added to your original idea sure works well mate.

Andy

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Nearly there! I think I've finished all the groundworks - just waiting for things to dry and then final touching up so no photos yet.

The figures are almost done as well, so it's about time I gave you guys the background to my little(!) dio.

For those who haven't seen the film or read the book, don't worry too much; my ideas could be the basis for just about any Sci Fi series ever made so catching up isn't a problem!

Diplomatic Missions Task Force

It has been 10 years since Operation Royalty took place on Planet P and the capture, for the first time, of ‘brain’ bugs. This eventually enabled humans to learn how to contact bug ‘queens’ directly and start negotiating for peace. Although a treaty has been signed, the war is still not finished due to a communication problem. The sheer distance between colonised planets makes ordinary methods impossible because they are limited by the speed of light. The fastest way is to send a ship and deliver messages in person as it were.

The DM task force was set up to deliver the peace message and to bring all of the settled worlds into the Federation. The colonies settled by refugees fleeing the war - human, bug or skinny - are still at war as far as their populations are concerned (“Remember BA!” is still a battle cry for the human colonies). Not all refugees left information about their destination, so any inhabitable planet found is a potential colony for one or more races. That is why the DM travel in warships and its members are drawn from the military of all races, as well as diplomatic staff.

Initial landings on new worlds are always made by heavily armed ‘mobile fortresses’ so they can defend themselves until communications are established. As the peace negotiations develop and territories become more secure, lighter equipment is ferried down to the planet to speed up the process. Scouting and advance parties consist of members of all three races to ensure that instant communication is possible regardless of which race is encountered. All scouting parties are provided with heavy air cover for defense – which is why everything has clear markings that can be seen from the air.

At the beginning of the war, the bugs had started on a breeding programme for a ‘super warrior’. These ‘super warriors’ are much larger and faster than those deployed earlier in the war. They are more intelligent and have greater capacity for independent thought and action when out of contact with a ‘brain’ bug – making them ideal candidates for DM.

This new world has been colonised by both humans and bugs. Since the arrival of the DM task force, an uneasy truce has been declared but there are still outlying population centres which remain undecided. As a result of this, there was an incident where a bug was fired upon by a human who did not recognise it as a member of the DM. Humans and skinnies already have distinctive uniforms so it has been decided that bug members of the DM should also be clearly marked for easy recognition .......

Gern

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Yaaaaay! All done.

Problem with this dio stuff is you can always see something you want to change or think of something to add. I'm calling this one done as I've already spent much more time on it than originally planned.

View attachment 73311

View attachment 73312

View attachment 73313

View attachment 73314

View attachment 73315

View attachment 73316

View attachment 73317

View attachment 73318

Like I've been saying for a while now, there are two stories attached to this. The stories involve two conversations which take place during this little scene. Your mission, should you decide to accept it, is to tell me what the two conversations are .....

Gern

All done1.JPG

All done2.JPG

All done3.JPG

All done4.JPG

All done5.JPG

All done6.JPG

All done7.JPG

All done8.JPG

N

noble

Dave i like what you've done with it and a nice back story too. like the diorama the rocks look very nice so does your paving sections, but most importatntly nice imagination.

scott

First Name
Richard
Hi Gern,

Well I tuned in a little late, but your diorama is looking pretty neat so far love it :smiling3:

Keep up the good work

Cheers Richi

PS your stones are cool mate

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Thanks guys. I got one of the story ideas when I first bought the bug about three years ago, the other came to me during the build. Just gotta wait and see if anyone else can suss them out!

Gern

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
No takers for the stories then?

I'm toying with the idea of printing these out and adding them as alternate titles. Here's the first one:

‘I’m sorry about the bumper Frank, it was an accident. I only brushed against it.’

‘I know that KayTee, but it was only shipped dirtside this morning!’

‘I wanted to ask you about that Frank. Does this new flitter of yours mean no more piggyback?’

Gern

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
I didn't see the story question Gern but I bet that arachnid is thinking

'Whos the green bird ?, that's just weird !"

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
OK. Last bit of this.

I promised two stories - or rather one story and a proof. You've already found out how the bumper got broke on the scout.

Here's the caption for the proof:

‘Good afternoon Frank. What are you doing with KayTee?’

‘Hello ladies. I’m trying to make sure he doesn’t get shot at again.’

‘Oh that’s good, but aren’t you supposed to paint all of the area between the pieces of tape?’

And what have I proved?

It doesn't matter who or where you are, or what the object is that you're painting, someone will ALWAYS come along and tell you:

"You've missed a bit!".

Gern

C

CDW

I was sure I commented on this but obviously it must be my age now I'm officially old.

I like how this all came together, and considering the different scales it looks natural enough.

It looks like you had fun with it and I can see you becoming a diorama addict from now on. :smiling3:

And those ''back-stories'' ... Creative certainly .... But what does go on in that brain of yours? :smiling3: :smiling3: :smiling3: :smiling3: