Gern's D-day

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Dave

Just caught this epic diorama. Looking forward to seeing these invasion beaches progress.

Cheers

P

First Name
Richard
Hi Dave,

this is coming very nice together, looking forward to the next update.

Cheers Richi

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
just looked in on this one, must say i do real like the cliff look spot on ,well done, and its getting their

look forward to next update,

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
I think I finally got the beach looking something like it should.

The sand I used originally had grains which were much too big for 1/72. I added some old plaster (which is a relatively fine powder) to a 50/50 mix of PVA and water. I added some acrylic yellow (Vallejo dark yellow 71.025) and painted it all over the surface in two or three thick coats. I didn't wait for it to set between coats but once I'd finished the last coat, I left it for about ten minutes then went over the surface with a large, cheap brush. I stippled the surface where I want dry sand and put large brush marks to represent rippled sand where the water is. Once I've got the water area done, I think a quick swipe with coarse sandpaper to knock off the sharp edges where I stippled it will help.

A good coating of Klear over the water area ('splash it on all over') has started to darken it slightly. I may add a little of the same Vallejo yellow to some Klear and give it another coat or two if it doesn't darken as much as I want. Once I get the colour I want, I'll use a thin layer of liquid water to soften the sharp edges of the ripples if you see what I mean.

View attachment 77237

View attachment 77238

Off to make some stakes to hold the barbed wire in place.

Gern

Beach4.JPG

Beach5.JPG

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
nice work Gern, coming alone nicely, i do like it, and it close to real, dark were the waves wash up and i would leave midland as is, but were the shells hit ,

be darker at the bottom and up the sides with some spread out over the ligther sand, with darker patches at the base off the cliff and were the sand has been

build up for the mound were the b/wair so and at the base off the bunks , just some tones of dark to high lite these spots , :rolleyes:

what is liquid water, pleaze that sounds interesting

geegad

Can't cheat fate..
First Name
John
looking good like the explosion and the men been thrown top stuff

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
\ said:
nice work Gern, coming alone nicely, i do like it, and it close to real, dark were the waves wash up and i would leave midland as is, but were the shells hit ,be darker at the bottom and up the sides with some spread out over the ligther sand, with darker patches at the base off the cliff and were the sand has been

build up for the mound were the b/wair so and at the base off the bunks , just some tones of dark to high lite these spots , :rolleyes:

what is liquid water, pleaze that sounds interesting
Good points Monica. I'll look at putting some darker washes where you suggest.

Liquid water is a modelling product from here:

http://www.deluxematerials.co.uk/pages/scenicproducts.htm

I got mine through the Scalemodels shop here but I don't know where you might find it down under.

Gern

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Great looking beach Dave and the cliff face is looking fantastic :smiling3:

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Looking terrific Dave. All the pieces are knitting together to produce a superb looking dio.

Si:smiling3:

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
hi Gern,thank you it dose look interesting stuff, mite have to try one day,and if i get some would be most likely from hear

as john said the to guys getting shelled dose look good

First Name
Richard
Nice Dave,

Like the beach and the crater looks really impressive, keep it up Dave.

Looking forward to the next update

Cheers Richi

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Oh poo!

Thanks for the nice comments folks, but I've dropped a couple of boo boos which I'll need to fix.

I added a second coat of Klear with some paint added and it's turned out much too dark.

View attachment 77301

Secondly, I realised that all the beach defences would be sunk into the surface of the beach and not just sitting on top of the sand. I'll have to amend things to allow for that. Not to worry though. Nothing that can't be fixed and I've got to re-paint the water part of the beach anyway so ....

Gern

Beach6.JPG

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
I realised the problem with the 'water' part of the beach wasn't that it was too dark, but the mix of Klear and paint was so thin that it pooled in all the low spots. The colour should be uniform. anyway, I gave it a spray with some paint and sunk all the defences into the surface slightly. Another coat or two of Klear and some liquid water and I think it'll look OK.

View attachment 77400

View attachment 77401

View attachment 77402

View attachment 77403

The white bits are just undried PVA. It won't show when it's dried and overpainted with Klear.

Now I just gotta finish painting the other 30 figures!

Gern

Beach7.JPG

Beach8.JPG

Beach9.JPG

Beach10.JPG

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
coming alone very nicely ,looks better each time, and for the water being dark in spots and lite in others would not thing off it as it would happen

in any way as there is always uniform pattens to water and deeper spots were it washer up on a beach,looks good

the b/wire fence turned out well

T

tommy1drop

Hi Dave just stumbled on this build and it`s looking great buddy;)

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Looking great Dave : )

What figures are you using for this as the ones I've got with my italari dio look like they've been run over by a steam roller !

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
I've done a few more figures which I'll hopefully be adding this weekend.

Alan: The figures come from Pegasus - see the first post in this thread.

Gern