Gern's HobbyBoss 1/72 P-40E Kittyhawk Cosford build 2018

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
This is the one I'm going with for this year's entry:

IMGP2503.JPGIMGP2504.JPGIMGP2505.JPGIMGP2506.JPGIMGP2507.JPGIMGP2508.JPG

It's a simple build but the detail looks pretty good.

I won't be starting straight away as Col (Colin M) has reminded me that I didn't finish my entry for last year so I want to get that done first.

PS I'm trying to get a picture of the price tag, but it's very faded and my poor camera is having difficulty. Mind you, that's probably due to my total lack of photography skills!

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Nice one dave and i can second ians confirmation, which scheme are you going for?

john i am

SMF Supporter
First Name
john
Nice choice Dave look forward to more.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Wow. There's more plastic in the packaging than the model !

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Made a bit of a start on this one. Got the cockpit assembled and the wings/fuselage joined. There's a seam which looks like the grand canyon on such a small kit, but that will fill with some plastic putty - to be cleaned up with a damp cotton bud so no sanding or re-scribing!

I added some crude seatbelts made from masking tape. Nothing special, but you can barely see anything when the canopy is put on so they will be fine (The addition of 0.02p worth of masking tape takes the price of the kit over £5.00. Does that disqualify it? If so, what about the cost of the glue and paint??).

Speaking of the canopy; it doesn't fit while the rear 'wings' and the locating tabs that fit along the inside of the fuselage are still attached. I cut them off with my trusty JLC razor saw, and with a few swipes of a sanding stick everything fits OK. There are some tiny gaps which will be automatically filled when I glue the canopy in place with white glue. Just got to work out the best way to mask it!

Just a quickie. Can anyone tell me if the wheel wells are interior green, zinc chromate green or zinc chromate yellow?

PS Just for you Tony, I'm going for the Russian colours.

PPS Col - I haven't forgotten my Defiant from last year. Just two more decals and the spinner tips to paint.

DSC02483.JPGDSC02484.JPGDSC02485.JPG

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Can anyone tell me if the wheel wells are interior green, zinc chromate green or zinc chromate yellow?
I believe that up to the P-40E, the wheel bays were lined with a canvas liner which was Olive Drab; the under-wing section being zinc chromate green or yellow on earlier versions, and a version of interior green on later versions.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
I believe that up to the P-40E, the wheel bays were lined with a canvas liner which was Olive Drab; the under-wing section being zinc chromate green or yellow on earlier versions, and a version of interior green on later versions.

So I could probably get away with any colour on a Russian version?

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
So I could probably get away with any colour on a Russian version?
It's underneath - who will know. When I'm faced with a few possibilities, I just go with the one I like. And there is a slim chance I guessed right.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
It's underneath - who will know. When I'm faced with a few possibilities, I just go with the one I like. And there is a slim chance I guessed right.

I kind of agree Col. I'm not fanatical about colour matching, but I do like to get something close.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Ready for paint. No issues apart from masking the canopy. What a PITA!

IMGP2534.JPGIMGP2535.JPG

Ooops - nearly forgot. I'll put the fuel tank on before I paint - that will save me doing it separately.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Just checked out that website Joe. It appears the wells on that plane are natural aluminium. I may go with that as it makes the painting easier.

As for the main colours, I'm going to use Tamiya XF14 Grey for the undersides and XF52 Earth and XF81 Dark Green for the top - unless anyone says they're wildly wrong.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Go for it Dave. Who's to say your colour choice is 'wildly wrong'?

Keep in mind general weathering /Sun bleaching / wear and tear. The list goes on and on and.....

There again, take no notice of me, I'm afraid I'm a near enough merchant....:upside:

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Dave,
I made the HobbyBoss 1/48 Kittyhawk OOB, also a 'quick assembly' model - very nice detail, with an AM cockpit it could be the basis of a really nice modelHB 1-48 Kittyhawk 01 Dave Ward.jpg
I also have a 1/48 P-38 Lightning 'quick assembly' that I got at a real bargain price
p-38 uppers.jpgp-38 under .jpg As you can see, most of the airframe is in 2 parts, engraved detail etc.........
Dave