Good article in the Dailymail

T

tommy1drop

Saw this in the paper this morning, I wonder how many vehicles are lying about untouched and rusting away from the past, that could be given a new lease of life....some good pics.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2509208/Britains-rust-belt-Vehicle-graveyard-runway-closed-RAF-station-features-military-vehicles-machinery-dating-World-War-Two.html

Lee W

Rum before 10 makes you a pirate not an alcoholic
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
A lot of history there! Fancy one of those as a restoration project?

Lee :smiling3:

T

Tone M

there must be places like this all over the country.

fascinating place, I'd love to wonder about there

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
no way are those being 'used for spare parts', been undisturbed for ages...........wonder why they dont just sell them off for scrap?

D

Deleted member 3568

It's a terrible waste of history imagine all the military vehicle restores just waiting for that vital part that's rotting away on one of those vehicles.

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
some very nice stuff just sitting about and what a waste and nice ref for painting as well

thks for showing us ;)

Peej

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
\ said:
Fancy one of those as a restoration project?
Even if they could not be restored enough to work again they would make one heck of a static display. If the grounds was sorted it would make a good attraction. Would needs loads of money but what price can be on history?

A

andyrobs

Its a shame to see these rotting away, be a good idea for a dio tho!!!!

Cheers, Andrew

A

AlasdairGF

Heh, "Good article in the DM" usually sets my alarms ringing... :D This time was worth the click!

Found this place on Google Maps, though - https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.8584945,-0.4413475,4064m/data=!3m1!1e3 if you want to have a look. At max zoom you can just about see all the kit along one of the original runways and in the dispersal areas.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
A quick look on Google Earth really shows just how many there are.

Have they never heard of e-bay! They could earn a forune

Ian M

A

andyrobs

\ said:
Heh, "Good article in the DM" usually sets my alarms ringing
Yup, cos it normally means they are going on about "arctic weather conditions for the country by October"

Cheers, Andrew

First Name
Gregg
\ said:
there must be places like this all over the country.fascinating place, I'd love to wonder about there
I have a lot of photo's of military and airport service vehicles, taken while I lived in Cyprus.

They were put into a compound near Larnaca back in the 60's/70's and have been there ever since.

Such a waste!

Gregg

First Name
Gregg
I have posted the photo's of some of the 'Cyprus relics' in the album, so as to not clog up a thread with too many pics.

Gregg