Graham's Heros of the Soviet People GB Diorama

F

Fenlander

OK, this is going to be very ambitious for me. There is no way I can get away with a 'scenic base' so I am having to bite the bullet and build a full and proper Diorama around my storyline.

'Heros of the Soviet People' will be based on the storyline of a German Stug having been 'knocked out' by a T34. To capture the heroics of this event, the units Political Officers have called up a crew from the propaganda press to record the action.

In reality, the unfortunate Stug was probably abandoned after running out of fuel and ammunition. However, such an opportunity to show the the people working in the factories how their brave sons and daughters were using the products of their labour to overthrow the fascist invaders could not be missed. So, in the usual subtle way of the Soviet press, well fed and cleaned up soldiers ride their T34 to victory over the oppressors while the camera clicks to record their brave assault for all to see.

The kits included in this dio are:-

Tamiya 1:48 Sturmgeschitz III Ausf G

it does have a cast metal lower hull which I didn't include in the shot, similar to the T34 below.

Tamiya 1:48 T34/76

Tamiya 1:48 Russian Field car GAZ-67B

Have to hand it to Tamiya in that they saw the opportunity to include the ICM Russian pilot and officers figure set in with this as the uniforms would be almost identical. However, there is no wonder that aircrew mechanic is scratching his head as he looks over the Maxim Machine gun. Needless to say, they will not be included lol

And finally, a few of these brave chaps

Tamiya 1:48 Russian Infantry and tank crew(a commander and driver figure)

This may be my Waterloo but it will be fun trying to depict the storyline I had in my head 10 minutes after seeing the GAZ and officers set.

R

Richy C

Graham you`ve got into 1/48 big time , I understand scale wise because if it was 1/35 it would be massive ,

I`m looking forward to this one mate , great plan

I have a few ideas but want to go 1/35 which limits the Russian options , if allowed I fancy doing 2 small figure dio`s one German one Russian ? is this ok

Richy

F

Fenlander

That will be fine Richy. It's summer, lets just chill and enjoy.

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Great idea and kits Graham, I'm sure this is gonna be good. Looking forward to seeing this Russian propaganda film being made!

Cheers

Paul

N

noble

Lovely kits and a very nice idea again i will be watching

scott

C

Cov1

Great kits again Graham, I'm liking the idea as well.

This GB is going to be great.

Enjoy

Ade

F

Fenlander

Started the ball rolling, all of 25 minutes to put the Gaz together ready for primer. The seats and the wheels are not glued in yet for separate painting.

Really nice little kit this and a very nice vehicle. Love the way the headlights are faired into the bonnet and front grill, very stylish. By the way, I know the driver is in the wrong seat, but he won't be driving anyway.

C

Cov1

25 minutes!!!

That's some modelling, looks great though.

Me that would be 25 days lol

Ade

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
Looking good so far Graham, i've got the GAZ-67B in me stash, might have to put it to the top lol. Nice story too mate, looking forward to seeing the build up.

Have fun, John

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
That's speedy modeling! It's a testament to your skill as a modeler and Tamiya's kit engineering that it came together so quickly and so neatly.

Nice one

Paul

F

Fenlander

With the Gaz awaiting primer, I have turned my attention to the T34/76. Again, a lovely example of the Tamiya 1:48 scale. Although I don't mind the metal chassis parts, it does give a nice weighty feel, there are issues with the fact that you can see past the side of the metal lower hull sides into the main hull top. Easily fixed with plastic card but given that it will be stuck down to a diorama base, I don't suppose it will be to big a problem. One big problem though is that it would be very difficult to set the angle of the axels so getting the road wheels and the link and length tracks, to follow the terrain.

Don't know if you can see it in these pics but the surface detail of the hull (and not pictured, the cast turret) is superb as is the sharp detail. I just love these 1:48 kits and hope to eventually build the lot.

B

bikerbart

Hey Graham, thats coming on nicely, well done. Not going to start mine till ive got some of the figs done, but really looking forward to cracking it open, regards Martin :smiling:

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
\ said:
Don't know if you can see it in these pics but the surface detail of the hull (and not pictured, the cast turret) is superb as is the sharp detail. I just love these 1:48 kits and hope to eventually build the lot.
So what will you be doing next month after you've finished them all Graham? The rate you build 'em at, I can't see it taking you all that long! lol

Gern

jspitza

Jeff
First Name
Jeff
Um, Ummmmm This plastic looks good enough to eat!!!

F

Fenlander

It isn't the rate I build them Dave, these are fairly simple kits to build. Just cut the bits off the sprues, place in a bag with a spray of glue, shake and the jobs done. Very, very nice kits. Anyway, I have a Zero and fuel truck, Airacobra and Staff car, (need to get) Me108 and Citroen to do next.

As I am rubbish at figures Martin I decided to do the main parts first and use them to establish the layout of the dio. Then I will see how many figures I need before the long slog of painting them. You will love the quality of the T34, some small fiddly bits but a pair of tweezers and a bit of care and the carpet monster will not claim too many lol, you certainly wont find some of them if you drop them.

Plastic good enough to eat Jeff, now theres an idea, chocolate tanks.... mmmmm... chocolate..........

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Graham

The T-34 looks a very well engineered piece of kit. I suppose the only problem being, as you say, the fixed suspension if you want to model the tank on any uneven terrain. I suppose with the tub being made of metal too you can't even cut the suspension arms off to alter it? Whatever, this is a cracking kit and I know you'll make a fabulous job of it.

As for, 'I'm rubbish at making figures' - come on, we've all seen the great job you did on the 190 dio! I for one am expecting great things!

Oh Graham, just wondered if it was worth starting a new thread entitled Reference Photos. I've got a few pics from the War and Peace show which are relevant and may help a few people. Just a thought...

Here's an example

View attachment 16912

Cheers

P

View attachment 24931

Russian Soldier.jpg

R

rogue-one

hi. graham. that is a great looking jeep. can wait to see it all painted up! and the tanks coming along nicely. man, a can believe how fast u are. speed modeling.he he.

Last edited:
K

Kressy13

Hi graham. Grea work so far. These kits look amazing. I usually do aircraft but looking at these kits i might have to try some armour now. Keep up the great work and look forward to seeing your progress.

Kresten.

F

Fenlander

Thanks guys. I do like the idea of a reference picture thread, will speak to John as to the possibility of a reference forum.

jspitza

Jeff
First Name
Jeff
Oh YES!!!! Very smart idea as books can cost a lot!