Gunze Sangyo

• Thread starter Airfix Modeller Freak
  • Start date
A

Airfix Modeller Freak

I have used the Gunze range of Mr Hobby Acqueous for years without any hitch now, and will be using the Mr color which has a great reputation. However, a new range has popped up called acrysion. Is this the same stuff as Acquous with a fancy name? Or a new range?
Cheers, John

PhilJ

SMF Supporter
First Name
Phil
I have used the Gunze range of Mr Hobby Acqueous for years without any hitch now, and will be using the Mr color which has a great reputation. However, a new range has popped up called acrysion. Is this the same stuff as Acquous with a fancy name? Or a new range?
Cheers, John
Hi John,
Found this:
20180416_125552.jpg
Which would suggest it's a new water based product with a quicker dry time.
As you was the one who first put me towards gunze I wanted to say thanks because the aqueous is so so good and I hardly use Vallejo model air anymore for two reasons. 1. Colour match isn't always that great 2. It just doesn't spray as good as Mr hobby.
The best product for me which is worth it's weight in gold is the Mr hobby levelling thinner, I use this with Mr hobby and tamiya and I have never had a problem spraying.
Having said all this I did use mr color on my Tiffy I just completed as I bought a late raf set to try out. My recommendation is if you aren't experiencing any problems with aqueous then don't switch. I found it harder to work with in regards to building up colour, I had to clean with cellulose and the concoction of solvent mr color and cellulose (even in a well ventilated room with a spray booth) gave me a banging headache and I would wear a mask next time aswell.
For me there's just no need for all that extra agg for our relatively small scale models.
Up to you though mate, will be interesting to see what you think.
Cheers
Phil
P.S I might try that new range for brush painting small details at some point though.

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

Hi John,
Found this:
View attachment 297181
Which would suggest it's a new water based product with a quicker dry time.
As you was the one who first put me towards gunze I wanted to say thanks because the aqueous is so so good and I hardly use Vallejo model air anymore for two reasons. 1. Colour match isn't always that great 2. It just doesn't spray as good as Mr hobby.
The best product for me which is worth it's weight in gold is the Mr hobby levelling thinner, I use this with Mr hobby and tamiya and I have never had a problem spraying.
Having said all this I did use mr color on my Tiffy I just completed as I bought a late raf set to try out. My recommendation is if you aren't experiencing any problems with aqueous then don't switch. I found it harder to work with in regards to building up colour, I had to clean with cellulose and the concoction of solvent mr color and cellulose (even in a well ventilated room with a spray booth) gave me a banging headache and I would wear a mask next time aswell.
For me there's just no need for all that extra agg for our relatively small scale models.
Up to you though mate, will be interesting to see what you think.
Cheers
Phil
P.S I might try that new range for brush painting small details at some point though.
Thanks mate. Probably going to stay on the acqueous as my No. 1 paint and use Mr Color alongside it. Nevertheless, I’ll be keeping my ears open for how people are finding this.
Cheers, John