Haynes Manuals going cheap

Steve Brodie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
IMG_1828.JPG

Picked this up for the princely sum of £6.00 from "The Works". They also have copies of The Vulcan and Mosquito. Fairly sure the A380 book hasn't been out all that long as its just been reviewed in a couple of Magazines !

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
View attachment 294376

Picked this up for the princely sum of £6.00 from "The Works". They also have copies of The Vulcan and Mosquito. Fairly sure the A380 book hasn't been out all that long as its just been reviewed in a couple of Magazines !
That's a great bargin Steve, but I drive a Clio :rolling::tongue-out2::tongue-out2:

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
They have some others as well. Don't buy the Bentley one though, it has some missing text - page 35 starts in the middle of a sentence.

Pete

J

Jens Andrée

Back in the days when I was still trying to fix my own cars the Haynes manuals were worth their weight in gold!
This was a time when manufacturers had stopped releasing their own documentation and without a Haynes manual it was guesswork...
Ok, often it was guesswork anyway because there was no guarantee that the Haynes mechanics did it right anyway, but they were very skilled in taking things apart and putting them back together again.
It gave you at least one way how to put things together again ;)
My old copy for SAAB 900 (especially the turbo sections) was very worn after rebuilding too many engines... Today I pay mechanics to do it but Haynes have saved me on many occasions - and many of you out there!

I've got a digital download of the Tiger I from Haynes and it's great! I'd like to have a few of them as hard copies but they're not available here, just for order.
I'll try to pick them up at some stage if someone online has a sale one day?!

J

Jens Andrée

Cheers!

The Avro Vulcan one seems nice but have they stopped printing all the "real" Haynes manuals?
These only seemed to be the novelty ones?
I don't remember ever shopping at The Works so it might just be their range of books...

Here in the land of lap dancing books are mostly digital nowadays, although hard copies still sells from what I gather.
It's not the same reading on a screen if you ask me.

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
No, they haven't stopped printing the 'real' ones, but they're a lot more expensive.

I thought you were in the land of Lapp dancing?:cool:

Pete

J

Jens Andrée

It's just my favourite comment from the show Men behaving badly that was very popular back in the days when I lived in UK.
- Lappland? The land of lap dancing... :tongue-out:

(I was born just south of Lappland ;) )

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Back in the days when I was still trying to fix my own cars the Haynes manuals were worth their weight in gold!
Yep, real life savers the Haynes manuals. Still coming out, but some types are delayed by many years for some reason. I guess manufacturers don't want you to be able to fix them yourself, when their own branded workshops can 'do it for you' for a princely sum.

J

Jens Andrée

Yep, real life savers the Haynes manuals. Still coming out, but some types are delayed by many years for some reason. I guess manufacturers don't want you to be able to fix them yourself, when their own branded workshops can 'do it for you' for a princely sum.
I also suspect it's because cars of today have so much more complicated electric systems with all the on-board computers, sensors and potted (in black epoxy) circuitry.
I remember buying my first Audi S6 in the late 90's and I asked the Audi dealer to open the bonnet so I could have a look at the engine - as one does, and he gave me a strange look before he sighed and opened the bonnet...

...all we could see was a plastic cover that was secured with anti-tampering wires!
One engine you were clearly not to tinker with - and if you did you were on your own...
It was at this stage I stopped poking at my own cars and instead relied on mechanics and today I probably don't even know where to begin. I honestly don't even know where all the fuses in my car are at the moment...

I don't think the motoring industry stops Haynes from releasing manuals but they can probably threaten them if they get things wrong - and this could be one reason why it takes longer for new manuals to reach us consumers?

I'd say the Haynes manual is probably the most sold English book worldwide?!

First Name
colin
I bought the chieftain, tiger1and the Sherman manuals from the works. Worth every penny but some of the the other titles are a bit strange especially the zombie Apocalypse survival guide.

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
I remember buying my first Audi S6 in the late 90's and I asked the Audi dealer to open the bonnet so I could have a look at the engine - as one does, and he gave me a strange look before he sighed and opened the bonnet...

...all we could see was a plastic cover that was secured with anti-tampering wires!
The Production Manager responsible for the Rover 3500 SD1 once told me the final check they made was to lift the bonnet and pour a bucket of water over the engine - if any ran through to the floor, they'd forgotten to fit something!

Pete