Headband magnifiers - are they any good?

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
As the title says...

I have been asked what I want for Christmas and since I have been dabbling in quite fine assembly and painting work I have thought about making life easier.

What are your experiences and recommendations for headband magnifiers?

Ta.

F

Fenlander

I have had a cheap one for years. It’s ok, but the plastic lenses do distort a bit and the optical quality is not so great but it does work. Since having verifocal glasses, I no longer need it. If possible, I would reccomend a ‘proper’ Optivisor. Not cheap but the optical quality is good.

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
i got a cheapo one a while back, not for modelling but for something else the memsahib was doing, once that was done i 'borrowed' them and i find them extremely useful at times

A

Awins

As the title says...

I have been asked what I want for Christmas and since I have been dabbling in quite fine assembly and painting work I have thought about making life easier.

What are your experiences and recommendations for headband magnifiers?

Ta.
As Graham said go for an Optivisor. I spent time also asking similar questions and decided on the Optivisor X2 magnification.
Ive had it a couple of months now and to be honest dont honestly know how I managed without it. The lenses are optical quality ground glass and it is very comfortable to wear. Hope this is of help. Cheers Alan

J

John Rixon

I've got two cheap ones, and they are not fit for purpose, mainly as they hurt, and have clearly been made with little care! I've heard enough folks praise optivisors to give them a look. I have a magnifying lamp and good specs, but I reckon the head magnifiers are better. Mind you, I've had my eye on my dentists magnifier kit - £2500, but they are staggering!

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
As Graham said go for an Optivisor. I spent time also asking similar questions and decided on the Optivisor X2 magnification.
Ive had it a couple of months now and to be honest dont honestly know how I managed without it. The lenses are optical quality ground glass and it is very comfortable to wear. Hope this is of help. Cheers Alan

Optivisor, that's the one I was thinking of Alan. Where did you get yours from?

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Question for the guys who have Optivisors, do you have the Donegan or Bergeon versions? There seems to be a big price difference between the two (£35 for Donegan, £80 Bergeon).

A

Awins

Question for the guys who have Optivisors, do you have the Donegan or Bergeon versions? There seems to be a big price difference between the two (£35 for Donegan, £80 Bergeon).
I have a Donegan

A

Awins

Optivisor, that's the one I was thinking of Alan. Where did you get yours from?
Sorry for late response. I got mine from Cousinsuk.com they supply to tthe jewellery trade. After surching the net they were the cheapest that I found. I paid £44 including delivery. Cheers Alan

First Name
Jimbob
I have the Donegal version and it makes a huge difference over the cheaper version I have, the comfort of it is excellent it also feels better on your head more balanced which allows me to wear it for longer periods. I think I paid about £50 expensive but worth it in the long run. Jim

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I'm not at home so I can't tell you which Optivisor I have. I've had it a long time and can't imagine trying to assemble seat belts, paint a cockpit or do any other fiddly stuff without it.
Like a lot of modelling stuff it is a significant investment, but will last for many years.
Cheers
Steve