yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

The effect im looking for is halfway between these two examples . The model im doing is a sixties USAF aircraft and would have been fairly new and well maintained, so i wanted to keep the staining fairly mild but still visible enough as its a trademark of the super sabre. Heres my attempt and what i used for it!! Honest opinions and suggestions welcome cheers tony

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I think it looks good. You've moderated the effect nicely and not gone over the top. I bet that eye make up was a lot cheaper than purpose made modelling pastels too.

Cheers

Steve

D

Deleted member 4539

I have to admit that I would never have thought of using make up.

It does look great,but some of the staining looks pink,I think if you add a bit of purple over the pink it would look better.

I hope this wasn't too harsh:smiling3:.

I

IanTheWelder

i think you done a very nice job, not overdone, but you can tell that you have acheived the desired effect. For me though, i think i`d just go a bit more blue`er

near the end of the plane (nearer the engine outlet) and then recede as you come further inwards if you know what i mean.

i like the effect though, really well done.

i`m always heating steel up at work, and the more heat you put in, the blue`er it gets, like a `bright` blue, (its like the point of colour where it gets to before it starts to change into a dark red) - immediately after the `bright` blue, theres nearly always a thin outer edge of dark blue that follows the contours of the previous blue. (thats a cooler area than the bright blue) - after which, you get the dirty brown/yellowy colour - which would represent steel that had not got too hot, but any coating /paint had burnt off. you need to keep it subtle though for the scale, which i think you are very nearly there.

hope you follwed all that lol.

Nice idea with the eye shadow too.

regards,

ian

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I think you're onto something here Tony. But like some have said, maybe you can go darker?

Here's another reference photo for you...

WP_20160324_13_53_52_Pro.jpg

F

Fenlander

I know it is difficult to judge from photographs, effects like this are very hard to take pictures of. However, judging from what I can see, I agree with Ralph about the pink tint which it may not look like in the flesh. Also, I am seeing where Ian is coming from regarding the blueing. Very easy to go over the top and you have said that you want to keep it restrained and you have achieved that quite nicely.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
I think that is perfect for the age of the aircraft you are depicting Tony. Here's some early Super Sabres, you can see your staining is spot on in my opinion.

flight-of-four-f100-super-sabre-jets.jpg

f100-super-sabre-041951-historic-postcard.JPG

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
I real like that,so very well done,looks just right,

best way to get the cheap eye makeup is at the $2.oo shops,and even have colors for weathering armor/planes as well,

ever use cotton bubs or you can get the sticks with a sponge on as well, :D

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Thanks for all the input guys , ive taken the comments on board and darkened the back end blue a bit and toned down the red/purple so it doesnt look as pink . Ive done both sides and also darkened a few access panels on the back end. Its now been fixed with a misting of hairspray and i can get on with the rest of the build image.jpeg

image.jpeg

F

Fenlander

Looks very nice Tony. I know you wanted subtle but this is subtle with depth and I think that looks good in scale. Very nicely done.

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
nice work on this Tony ,dose look better and being some what darker,brings it out more, ;)

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
It's brilliant. I can see us all popping down to the pound shop this week end.