Heller 1\100 HMS Victory my biggest ship yet

peterairfix

SMF Supporter
First Name
peter
As my cutty sark is nearing the end I have decided to start this epic build and its big over 2000 parts and for a thirty year old kit it looks good.
I have started painting the hull halves and that's a task in its self I have been at it all day and what I have achieved on one side just the black and copper and on the other I have done one yellow band a masked ready for the next.
And you have my permission to call me stupid or brave.P1030914.JPG P1030911.JPG

D

Deleted member 3568

Looking good mate, you know some stupid historian reckons the stripes were salmon pink and they are actually painting the real ship those colours.

peterairfix

SMF Supporter
First Name
peter
Here's my sum total of work so far no construction as yet as this is so big its only painting.
And the hull halves are finished but I think the yellow bands are a little to wide. And the stern section I have tried yellow underneath the black so l could gently sand off the black leaving the yellow details but hasn't worked to well.
And lastly the decks have been paintedP1030933.JPG P1030935.JPG P1030936.JPG P1030937.JPG

S

steve5

nice to see someone else doing this model , your really sailing along with it too .
PS. I was going to do the wall's of the lower two deck's in white , when a member on another forum , informed me they should be painted in red . so that when the splinter's of cannon shot , put blood on the wall's , didn't upset the sailor's , considerate of the admiralty wasn't it .:smiling3:

First Name
Alex
I've always liked the idea of doing a big ship like that and then putting it in a nice display box, although I don't know if I would have the patience or the time or the space!

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
This is looking great and do intricate
I could never attempt something so huge ( it would take me many years.
How big are the 104 cannons ( think I'm right in that figure ??

Regards

Rober

T

Tony

That is looking wonderful.

I never realised how much detail this version of the model had to it. Very impressed indeed.

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
Stunning work Peter and your really making head speed on this one ( all your masts must be full sail eh

Regards

Robert

peterairfix

SMF Supporter
First Name
peter
Before i carry on with this on can any one tell me if my yellow bands are to wide I think they are but I would like a second or third opinion.

T

Tony

That looks very neatly done. I would suggest if you google "HMS Victory Pictures" you can compare the bands on there. They look good to me.

D

Deleted member 3568

I think it looks like theyre just a bit larger than the gun ports so maybe just a tad too wide but thats just my humble opinion. It looks great whatever.

S

steve5

your doing a great job peter , but looking at pictures of the victory , I would have to say , they are fractionally a bit wide , but it still all comes down to personal taste mate ,

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Here's how she looked a couple of years ago: Portsmouth etc 059 [Desktop Resolution].jpg
The stripes seem to be straight, rather than curving up towards the stern. Of course she might have looked different when in active service.

Pete