Heller 1/35 VBCI WIP

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I've been persevering over this for a while. The Model itself isn't too bad, but the netting armour is a real pig - the material provided by Heller is not usable, and the supports are fragile - it's got to the stage where it's difficult to pick up....................prewet 01.jpgprewet 03.jpg
Still not sure about whether this will be finished - it's got to the stage where I'm losing interest...........
Dave

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Looks great Dave! Glad to see you here

P

Polux

Nice build!
I like your work on the camo.
Thought only need a pin wash and you have it!!!! :smiling:

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Looks are deceptive! The mesh armour keeps on coming away from the supports ( Tried CA, PVA......), and there should be an edging strip around the bottom of the side skirts. The problem is that every time I repair one bit, another two pop out, and handling it makes it all worse! I think I'm going to give it an overall dusty spray, and call it a day, before I juggle with it, and drop it!!
heller vbci.jpg
This is what the box looks like, not that you can build the model from the bits inside! The mesh supplied is pentagonal, not square, and far too small - I'm not surprised I haven't seen this finished on any modelling sites!!

First Name
Ross
Dave

It looks pretty good though, pity it's so fragile, probably a good call to dust it up a bit and call it a day.

cheers
Ross

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Going by the box art, the real netting seems to be attached by sand-coloured straps. Maybe you could emulate that? Put, say, a thin metal strip around the frame and through the net, like on the box art. The metal can be glued to the plastic and should hold the net in place.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Jakko,
If I was going to attempt this model again, I'd replace the supports & frames with metal rods, and attach the netting the way you say, but it's too far down the line now. Even using the airbrush to do a dust coat, the net is flapping. I'm afraid this has reached it's conclusion - I'll put up a few final pictures tomorrow
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Well, that's it - I can't do any more to this it's soooo fragile
vbci fin 01.jpgvbci fin 02.jpgvbci fin 03.jpgvbci fin 04.jpg

The Heller VBCI isn't a bad kit - the fit is good. The net armour, though...........................!!!!!
I've run out of patience with it! As I've said before, I'm not surprised I haven't seen any completed models around. The VBCI isn't a standout vehicle - only the Q-Net mesh armour raises it out of the ordinary, and that is very difficult. I'm now going to have to find a place to put this!
Dave

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Dave,
Given the problems you have had that is a great result mate.
Paul

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Dave,
The damage to the nets are to be expected when in service, some of these drivers, well..........
You have done a great job there, persevered and overcome, take a bow, dust it up and put it on the display shelf - well done.
Cheers,
MikeC.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Dave
To be honest I think the damaged nets make the model more realistic. The nets must have been regularly damaged in real life. Well done for sticking with it and getting a nice result. Now put it somewhere safe out of harms way!!
Jim

First Name
colin
Hi Dave I agree with the last 3 posts the damage to the netting adds to the realism of a good build

Jon Heptonstall

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jon
Looks a really good model.Glad to see it finished.I think all the hard work has really paid off.
Jon.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Gents,
many thanks for your kind words! :thumb2:. It's a odd kit from Heller, they produce some very strange models - I have the 1/24 Ferguson Tractor ( little grey fergie ), which looks a nice simple model. I'm still debating about where to put the VBCI, with the nets, it's a magnet for dust............................
Dave

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
My experience is that Heller is completely hit and miss, and they make strange (or at least unconventional) choices, in the way parts are laid out or kits go together.