heller le glorieux 1/150

peterairfix

SMF Supporter
First Name
peter
I will be watching as I like my ships also for any tips on the decks as I always struggle to the color right

B

Builder

Great start Steve, I've never seen that being done, coppering I mean, is that part of the instructions, what does coppering do?  Would like to see how this turns out. 

Snowman

We come in peace, so shoot to kill!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
Wow, that is cool! B|

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Ships often had copper cladding on the hull up to the waterline to prevent the build up of barnacles and "pille worms". 
I'll look forward to seeing this build Steve.

D

Deleted member 3568

I'm definitely following this one, after the Soliel I recon this will be another stunner.

B

Builder

Ships often had copper cladding on the hull up to the waterline to prevent the build up of barnacles and "pille worms". 
I'll look forward to seeing this build Steve.

thank's guy's , another reason for doing it , they have etched the coppering all the way up to the main gun deck , this wasn't right  . it also get's rid of that silly flat spot on the bottom of the hull . here'a link to where you can get it .http://www.anythinginstainedglass.com/metals/foil.html

View attachment 263397

Thanks for the info there Ian and Steve. 

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
that looks great Steve,I have never seen one done in copper before,do real like the look,of it,

well done so far, :D

what type of glue is it stuck down with ?

S

steve5

they are self adhesive monica down as small as 3mm wide , I do intend to age them some-how not sure what method to go with . whether to dilute some paint . try some copper patina , suggestion's any-one ? .

S

steve5

should have put these up before painted the deck's and oil washed them , for some reason they have dulled in the pic's they are more tanned

untitled.png

!cid_853.jpg

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 3568

Hi mate I didn't use the copper tape you used I used copper leaf on my Thermopylae  but I thinned down humbroll 33 and humbroll 3 about 2 3rds 3 and 1 3rd 33 (least I think it was 3 it's the green I used on the bentley) I thinned them right down till they were like water then washed it with a soft brush, let that dry then put some acrylic matt varnish on it then washed it again and varnished it again. You could do it till you had the effect you wanted.

S

steve5

thank's ken haven't used humbrol paint's , they're enamel's aren't they .

D

Deleted member 3568

Yep, they're what I mostly use, of course I also use pastels, wax crayons, watercolour pencils, magic markers, artists oils and assorted other things.

S

steve5

thank's for the nice comment's guy's , I just hope I can live up to expectation's .

S

steve5

had an interesting afternoon , painted the starboard half of the hull , and gave everything a coat of clear , [I decided to oil wash the coppering ] , and this happened , no oil wash on it yet . don' know if it's a good thing or what , the painted half is alright , just got to improve my scribing technique .

20160927_180909[1].jpg

20160927_182107[1].jpg

20160927_182051[1].jpg

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
sorry to say ,but I did real like,the not cleaning so good,look,as it has that natural,tarnish you get on copper, :D

but this one,dose still ,look good,