heller le glorieux 1/150

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Steve, use a hair dryer to warm it a bit first, then work the mast much as you are holding it now and gently bend the mast to the correct 'straightness'

You will have to 'over bend it' first, then it will come back to the required shape when it cools.

Obviously be very careful not to over do the heat.....just warm the plastic - no more than that.

Another way is to place the mast in a small hole and straighten it with temp. rigging. Then heat it gently without any manipulation from fingers and just let it do it's stuff naturally.....

Cheers,

Ron

S

steve5

thank's for that ron , didn't think of a hair dryer , let you know how I go . was thinking of just using the rigging , but that would put too much pressure , on too thin a plastic .

Last edited:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Only too glad to be of some help....

Looking very nice too. 

You probably won't get the mast spot on true, but, as you point out any bend left will be removed during the rigging proper.

i know it's far from finished, but how about a very thin slurry of green oils on it's bum?

Last edited by a moderator:
S

steve5

ron

been mucking about with test pieces , can't find one I like yet , will do something though . to you and ken thank's for the comment's

S

steve5

had a go ron ,very weak green oil wash , might give it one more coat tonight , it still should age to a certain extent

20161021_075241[1].jpg

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Coming along a treat Steve.....

Try giving the copper a wash of dk. grey or black and swill this down the hull. It's starting to look the part now. You probably still think it looks cob, that's because it's way too shiny just now, but that will sort itself out later.......Trust me, I'm a doctor! :P

S

steve5

if you can't trust your doctor , who can you trust :D  , I'll show you tomorrow .

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
looking great Steve,real nice work on this ,so far, :D

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Might be this is a bit late but here goes....

The quickest way to tarnish copper and get that nice green..... Urine. Gross I know, but it works. Paint it on, leave it a while rinse off and leave to dry.

failing that, Vallejo make a green tarnish wash. Or is it a paint... Anyway, probably not as smelly to use.

B

Builder

Might be this is a bit late but here goes....

The quickest way to tarnish copper and get that nice green..... Urine. Gross I know, but it works. Paint it on, leave it a while rinse off and leave to dry.

failing that, Vallejo make a green tarnish wash. Or is it a paint... Anyway, probably not as smelly to use.

Hahahahahahaha.Urine really wow. The stuff we use for model making is surprising at times. Urine is now officially a modelling product. Need  a bottle to store some on my shelf :P

Last edited:
S

steve5

I have read that ian , on pete coleman's site , which unfortunately is no more , but I just couldn't bring myself to do it , would you have to make sure you drank a lot of water the night before ,

ron

had a go , what do you think .

20161022_130541[1].jpg

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
thats toned down nicely,do like it,and the touch of green tarnish would look good, :D

S

steve5

I agree with you monica , I'll wait till this dries , and give it a very weak green wash .

S

steve5

started the rigging of the cannons ,only time I have tried this , they're not great but , considering the scale I'm pretty happy

14581377_583879838463406_7463814347812294355_n[1].jpg

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
I have read that ian , on pete coleman's site , which unfortunately is no more , but I just couldn't bring myself to do it , would you have to make sure you drank a lot of water the night before ,

ron

had a go , what do you think .

View attachment 264914

Sorry Steve, I've been away camping....

The coppering is starting to look better now. In my opinion, see that one dark copper plating in the middle of the hull's picture? I reckon that is what you're after.

As Monica writes....another coat of green ( perhaps a tad thicker so it colours a bit more) Then a slurry of grey/black. 

Don't be frightened, go for it! ;)  You can always wipe the paint off and have another go if you don't like it......I did!