Help, decalfix is eating my paint!

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Hi guys,

I'm having trouble putting the decals on a Tamiya spitfire. I've tried twice now, the first time I varnished with pledge, and the 2nd with Xtracrylix.

I'm putting the decals on with decalfix, however it's eating into the paint. What am I doing wrong?

tmp_3655-IMG_20170429_103757984943413.jpg

Any help is appreciated. :sad:

Bob

tanktrack

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Hi Bob i haven't heard great reports about decal fix ,but did use it on a heavy corrugated area and it worked a teat , i do tend to use micro sol or vallejo decal fix , i also tend to leave my models for a number of days before fitting decals to allow the paint to cure along with the sealant ie vallejo matt or klear .
steve

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Cheers Steve, I did only give each varnish overnight, although the Xtracrylix says in dries in 15 minutes?

Paul Davies

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Cheers Steve, I did only give each varnish overnight, although the Xtracrylix says in dries in 15 minutes?

it might be dry to touch in 15min but a lot of paint and varnish will take at least 24hrs to actually cure properly.

I would leave it for a day or two before trying to using decal fix on it.

D

dubster72

Bob these products might be dry in 15 minutes or whatever, but there's a big difference between dry & cured.

Any decal softener uses some kind of acidic solution so there's always a risk that it'll eat into paint or a varnish that's not cured.

Simple rule of thumb is allow a minimum of 48 hours before applying the decals - the longer the better really.

Unfortunately in today's world, most products encourage modellers to do everything too quickly, with often unhappy results.

Good luck with sorting it out.

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Cheers gents, I'll repair the damaged paint this afternoon and re-varnish tomorrow. Might try W & N Galeria this time. :smiling3: