Help...Revell Liquid Glue Remover.

M

msm2

While looking in the loft came across a old(1991) Revell kit,some of the parts have been glued. Is there a product which will unglue the parts.

Tony

F

Fenlander

You cold try softening it by immersing it in quite warm soapy water. Failing that, you could run some liquid glue into the joints and gently ease them apart as the joint melts. You would have some cleaning up to do though.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Hi tony, i agree with graham, i think using liquid poly cement to dissolve the joints is probably the only way of getting them apart without breaking them,but as graham says you might have a bit of cleaning up to do on the separated joints, good luck whatever you decide to do , cheers tony

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I agree with the above...but,if it was originally glued with a poly cement I can see problems in your future. The original cement was a solvent that dissolved ("melted") the plastic to form a weld. You can reverse this by dissolving it again as per Graham and Tony's advice. I think the result will be the loss of some plastic,as in the ooze that comes out of a fresh join, so not only will you need to clean up the faces after seperation but may also have a bit of filling to do. If you do get the parts seperated leave them to re-harden completely before you attempt to clean them up.

Good luck.

Steve

F

Frankinspace

Polystyrene adhesives are solvents that work by dissolving the plastic, so that when it evaporates, the two parts have effectively become one piece. So "ungluing" probably won't work.

I sugggest a fine razor saw or very sharp blade for separating parts. A small screwdriver ground down into a chisel may be useful.

L

Laurie

\ said:
Polystyrene adhesives are solvents that work by dissolving the plastic, so that when it evaporates, the two parts have effectively become one piece. So "ungluing" probably won't work.
I sugggest a fine razor saw or very sharp blade for separating parts. A small screwdriver ground down into a chisel may be useful.
Yes I have used a fine razor saw which gives a nice clean surface but you

lose a bit of plastic. Also depends on the part ie can you get at it with a saw.

Matter of interest Tony why do you want to undo it ?

Laurie