Help with camo mask

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
I'm a bit confused with this camo mask I bought, the sides look ok, light colour down first then dark colour on top, but if I'm looking at it right the top of the wings show the mask being put on top of the dark colour

201710181440.jpg

R_G

Member left By Request
Has left the Building
First Name
Ralph
I think when they made the instruction sheet they reversed the colors on either the top view or side views. If you compare the colors in the side views they don't match up to the colors in the top view. They're reversed.

Ralph

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
I noticed that Ralph, that's what's confusing me, which one is right?

R_G

Member left By Request
Has left the Building
First Name
Ralph
I don't really know. I guess it would be best to compare the drawings to the actual aircraft that you are modeling, assuming a photo exists. Doesn't the Spitfire camouflage follow a standard? Pattern A or B? A is a mirror image of B I think?

Ralph

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Yes, that photoshop correction looks more like it John.

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
Would the edges be hard or feathered? I read putting a line of cotton around the edges would life it enough to give it softer edges.

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
If you just place the mask on John rub the center of the mask just to get it to stick, then spray from the center of the mask to the outside at an angle you should get a softer edge.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Yes, they reversed the colours. On the full sized aircraft they used rubber matting as masks so the edge would have been hard. Ian is right though in how to spray to avoid a raised edge from colour build up.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
John's reversal of the colours is correct.

The A/B schemes were abandoned before the Mk IX was being built, they were all finished in the A scheme.

I'm with Barry, hard edge for an aircraft as it left the factory. What happened later when it was repaired or refinished is another thing altogether.

I like to use a reference whenever I can.

jejen398_small.jpg

JEJ_1.jpg

Cheers

Steve

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
I can’t believe how many parts are in this kit, I’ve never done a spitfire with so many pieces, I’m really worried about messing it up, it’s not a cheap kit.