Help with Hobby Boss 1/48 P-61B please.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Hi guys. I've just bought this kit. It looks really nice but I can't see me being able to paint the canopies without buying a mask set from somewhere.

Alas, I can't find anyone who makes a mask for this particular kit. I've found masks for other makers of this variant, and I've found masks for different variants; but nothing specific to this kit.

Has anyone built this one and could they recommend a suitable mask set please?

First Name
Dave
Hannants have got this one on their site for £4.50. Just put the code number MXSM48420 into their search engine.

IMG_3794.JPG IMG_3795.jpg

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Glad you got sorted dave , im actually in the middle of a build of the monogram p61 and ive just got a mask set for that too , all those windows were giving me the willies!!!!

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Glad you got sorted dave , im actually in the middle of a build of the monogram p61 and ive just got a mask set for that too , all those windows were giving me the willies!!!!

Yeah! Especially 'cos I gotta do the inside as well!

First Name
Dave
I built the monogram kit a few years ago Tony. I used a fair bit of filler on the model and about 50g of lead in the nose. Nice kit as i remember

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
I built the monogram kit a few years ago Tony. I used a fair bit of filler on the model and about 50g of lead in the nose. Nice kit as i remember

The Hobby Boss version includes 6 metal pieces for the nose weights (4 in the cockpit area and one each in the engines). A nice touch which seems to be getting more popular with the manufacturers. Appreciated 'cos it makes my life easier!

First Name
Dave
The Hobby Boss version includes 6 metal pieces for the nose weights (4 in the cockpit area and one each in the engines). A nice touch which seems to be getting more popular with the manufacturers. Appreciated 'cos it makes my life easier!
From the location of the weights it sounds like Hobbyboss have included the radar in the nose of that kit?.The old Monogram kit has this feature.But I replaced it with a lump of lead!.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
I'm guessing from the shape and location of the metal parts that they've used white metal to create the radar bits and provide the nose weight. Ingenious - I like it!

IMGP2213.JPG IMGP2214.JPG IMGP2215.JPG

First Name
Dave
That's a clever solution. I wonder if their 1/32 Black Widow has the same set up?.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
That's a clever solution. I wonder if their 1/32 Black Widow has the same set up?.

It seems so from a couple of reviews I've seen Dave. I'm sure I've come across some kits which use a pilot figure moulded in white metal as a nose weight. Does anyone know if that's right?

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Ive not heard of a metal pilot dave but the 1/32 widow includes white metal weights and also undercarriage. On my monogram one i made a mould using aluminium foil and melted sone roofers lead with a blowtorch ,filling the mould so ive got a perfectly fitting weight that fills the whole nose with lead!! Needless to say its bloody heavy and i hope the undercarruage stands up to it!

First Name
Dave
Ive not heard of a metal pilot dave but the 1/32 widow includes white metal weights and also undercarriage. On my monogram one i made a mould using aluminium foil and melted sone roofers lead with a blowtorch ,filling the mould so ive got a perfectly fitting weight that fills the whole nose with lead!! Needless to say its bloody heavy and i hope the undercarruage stands up to it!
I just cut a strip of lead flashing.Then rolled it up and bashed it to shape with a hammer until it was a good fit inside the nose cone!.