hms hood colours

First Name
rob
Hi everyone, ,wondered if you could help me out. Just got a trumpeter hms hood in 1.350. I want to try acrylic instead of my usual enamels.this is because there are too many sub assemblies for drying times with enamel. Thinking of ordering vallejo. Any advice on colours?

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
You might be disappointed with Vallejo. Don't get me wrong, I used them for over 5 years and they worked well for me but while they are fast 'touch' drying they take at least 24 hours to cure and can be fragile being handled within that time. It can be longer with humidity issues. You also need to use primer to make them 'stick' well also which needs curing time. Sorry - but I can see you having issues.

You would find MRP solvent based acrylics a better option for speed of drying (much faster than Vallejo and robust) but they dont do specific navy colours but you might find colours that can be used.

B

Bangor Lad

I've used Vallejo for a number of years and had no problems with them. I use acrylics as I don't like the smell from enamels (and Tamiya for that matter). Drying time isn't an issue for me as touch dry isn't 'dry' and I always aim to leave as long as possible before over painting. As with all of the choices we have in our hobby we make our choices on what suits you.

Cheers

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Barry, I can't understand why you write " You might be disappointed with Vallejo" and "But I can see you having issues."

Like David, I'm perfectly happy using Vallejo and have never encountered any problems - Using primer or not.

Also, drying time isn't an issue with me either.....I'm in no hurry.

No offence intended, and I'm sure MRP paints are o.k, but I don't see the point in coming out with those two quotes......

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Ron - having used them for all those years I found the paint too soft prior to curing for at least 24 hours, longer in periods of high humidity. During that period the paint is very 'fragile' and can easily be rubbed or scratched off as I often found. As his reason for changing was speed of drying I thought that this fragility could be an issue for him.