HMS Victory DeAgostini 1/84 scale

S

steve244

Hi all well here is my next build the mammoth HMS Victory at a Length of 4ft 2in Height 2ft 10in and will weigh in at 22lbs and at a scale of 1/84 it is the Artesania Latina kit broken down into monthly issues.

This is the part work kit by DeAgostini and I have now collected every issue over the past 2 years while I was building my HMS Supply so I won’t have to wait for each part every month I can just move on at my own leisure as and when time permits.

The magazine instructions are easy to follow and the materials appear to be good quality and I have started to construct the bulkheads and the keel by dry fitting them first to check there are no problems putting things together before gluing them and so far they fit together perfectly with very little or no need to sand them down.

I won’t be following the assembly instructions in the order of the magazines for every part as some issues have you building cannons and longboats well in advance and I shall also be double planking the hull with a walnut veneer rather than painting or copper plating it and it may not be historically accurate but I’m not a rivet counter and am building this in a way that will please me when finished which is what the hobby is about.

This also comes with some fine detail and includes some figures but whether I decide to use these or not is a long way off so I hope you enjoy this build as much as I am looking forward to doing it and it goes without saying that any comments tips advice is always welcome.

Here are some photos of what i have done so far todayView attachment 107570

View attachment 107571

View attachment 107572

View attachment 107573

View attachment 107574

View attachment 107575

View attachment 107576

View attachment 107577

View attachment 107578

View attachment 107579

View attachment 107580

View attachment 107581

View attachment 107582

cheers steve

DSCF0028.JPG

DSCF0029.JPG

DSCF0030.JPG

DSCF0031.JPG

DSCF0032.JPG

DSCF0033.JPG

DSCF0034.JPG

DSCF0035.JPG

DSCF0036.JPG

DSCF0037.JPG

DSCF0038.JPG

DSCF0039.JPG

DSCF0040.JPG

D

dougie

Very nice, I will keep an eye in this. I have subscribed to the falcon build and haven't built abutting yet, I'm going to do something like what you have done but maybe starting half way through.

I'm sure you will do a good job especially if it's for you and not rivet counters haha

J

John Huggins

Nice one Steve, look forward to seeing this one come together, I'm still playing with the Sovereign of the Seas almost got all the issues just two more to go.

Good luck with the build.

John

peterairfix

SMF Supporter
First Name
peter
I am glad some one else is doing this one as i am doing this one, i have about twenty issues to go but i havn't touched it for a long while and its looking rather battered as i have moved 3 times but i will be looking in on this one for tips.

bazers

SMF Supporter
First Name
barry
Ni Steve i fancied that when it first came out but have heard some of these models from this magazine were never finished

i havealways fancied a billings ship.

looking foreward to see how you go.

S

steve244

Hi all

thanks for the comments, john i hope we will get to see some more of your SoS it looks like a very good build from looking at my own the materials seem to be of good quality upto now anyway and should imagine yours is the same.

Thats a shame peter i hope you get back to it from what i have seen of others building the same kit it comes together into a lovely build, hi dougie if i hadnt been building my hms supply i would probably of started it after the first few issues and then been waiting on things but working away would of helped.

From what i have seen bazers with others going down the same road most have completed their models but you do get people who drop out of the subscriptions for one reason or another and never finish them also there was some articles in the press a couple of years back about this kit not being complete and leaving a gap in the hull which was totally wrong, with this build you have the choice of leaving part of the hull open so you can see inside the gun deck with some internal fittings and figures that go inside but the option is your own to decide which way to go and i wont be leaving the cutaway and as for billings i have built one of theres before and they are great kits.

cheers steve

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
nice i will be popping;) in to see the progress on this one,

S

steve244

Hi all

Here’s where I am upto now I have assembled the keel and fixed in the bulkheads some of these were a snug fit and the last few were quite lose fitting but got them all squared up and placed in the lower gun deck which as you can see comes in 4 parts, I drew lines to show me the central run of the bulkheads for pinning the deck down.

The next thing was to measure and fix the dummy gun supports and having to trim both ends to allow for the curve of the ship to get a flush sitting and with this piece of wood being so thick I had to cut slots into it to help the wood bend into shape this was then glued and pinned in place.

The next step was to measure and fix the deck supports for the middle gun deck, I then drew some planking onto the deck as this area will be seen through the side entrances on both sides of the hull and sealed it with Danish oil.

cheers steve

View attachment 108190

View attachment 108191

View attachment 108192

View attachment 108193

View attachment 108194

View attachment 108195

View attachment 108196

View attachment 108197

View attachment 108198

View attachment 108199

View attachment 108200

View attachment 108201

View attachment 108202

DSCF0001.JPG

DSCF0002.JPG

DSCF0003.JPG

DSCF0004.JPG

DSCF0005.JPG

DSCF0006.JPG

DSCF0007.JPG

DSCF0008.JPG

DSCF0009.JPG

DSCF0010.JPG

DSCF0011.JPG

DSCF0012.JPG

DSCF0014.JPG

peterairfix

SMF Supporter
First Name
peter
Looking good and i remember this well, and i also remember the hull planking was a pig to do as well

takeslousyphotos

No Tears Please. It's a Waste of Good Suffering.
First Name
Peter
I'm in and watching this one Steve.

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
very nice progress and looking good, ;)

S

steve244

thanks for the kind words spent yesterday faring the hull and laid my first plank then went onto measuring up the second plank which would run aft when i noticed it did not line up with the stern gallery supports it was then i realised the last bulkhead that the supports fix to was too high so ive had to try and loosen the glue luckily i have been using pva and i first tried using water to soften it up but that did not work so had a look round the internet and found a tip which was to use nail polish remover which after about 20 mins softened the glue enough to remove the bulkhead and having then checked the frame it had not been cut deep enough for the bulkhead to sit in its proper place so i have spent this morning redoing it and fixing the bulkhead back on the frame and alls well again now.

cheers steve

S

Stevekir

Such a huge model will allow a lot of fine detail. Looking forward to that.

bazers

SMF Supporter
First Name
barry
Looking good Steve ,are you looking foreward to all that riging .

S

steve244

Thats one thing that will be a challenge barry it was bad enough on my supply build but managed to get through it in the end

cheers steve