View attachment 114107

View attachment 114108

View attachment 114109

View attachment 114110

View attachment 114111

View attachment 114112

View attachment 114113

View attachment 114114

Well been busy the past couple of days having started to do the lower hull planking taking my time trying to get a nice neat finish but i shall be double planking any way but practice makes perfect as they say and i need the practice, but learning something everyday so im happy.

Only one thing that has played on my mind has been the 2 stern gun ports which are not right but will come up with a solution to this later on once i am ready to put the second planking on that area.

I was even contemplating remodelling the stern gallery altogether to show it as it was when first built but it would be too much for me and overstretching my skills so will leave it as is.

cheers steve

DSCF0052.JPG

DSCF0053.JPG

DSCF0054.JPG

DSCF0055.JPG

DSCF0056.JPG

DSCF0057.JPG

DSCF0058.JPG

DSCF0059.JPG

DSCF0060.JPG

DSCF0061.JPG

DSCF0062.JPG

DSCF0063.JPG

S

steve244

Hi all well nothing to show as had to stop during the week for other things and now its time to get back to work for another month but when i return im treating myself to one of these Proxxon MF 70 Milling machine

thanks to a nice little suprise from the tax man after putting in for the new marriage allowance, so something to look forward to when i return does anyone else have one of these machines.

cheers steve

Last edited:
D

dougie

What's the marriage allowance about?

The idea of a wee milling machine is nice

S

steve244

heres the link dougie https://www.gov.uk/marriage-allowance

cheers steve

S

steve244

Hi all

Well while i have been at sea i have had time to contemplate on one or two things on how i am going to approach this build and i am still thinking of leaving her mostly in a natural wood state and also i have been really thinking hard about having a go at showing my interpritation of her as she was when first built in 1776 and have managed to find a couple of images of the figurehead which is different to what was on victory at the time of trafalgar and also the stern gallery with the open balconies, so in this quest to find out as much as i can i have just ordered The Anatomy of Nelsons Ships to help me and if i dont push myself then i will never improve my skills

cheers steve

takeslousyphotos

No Tears Please. It's a Waste of Good Suffering.
First Name
Peter
This is really shaping up Steve .......... Some great work.

M

My Model Car Workshop

Of all the Victory kits, the very best one available is by Caldercraft, now Jotika. This model is at 1/72 scale, but has to be purchased as a full kit, about £800. Which is what yours will cost when you have collected all the parts. So far, you are making a nice job of it and it should be a nice model when completed. The most difficult part is the rigging, which can really test your skills. I wish you well with your build Steve and I will be looking in now and again to see how you are progressing.

S

steve244

Thanks for the comments they all help, i have now got longridges book Anatomy of nelsons ships to study and help me with my plans to bash this kit and show my interpritation of victory as she was before the great repair which changed her to how she looks now. Looking at some of the plans i can see there are going to be a number of changes i will need to make that i did not realise but still this should hopfully improve my skills. I have got some Sculpey to have a go with for making the figurehead and stern decorations which will be another first for me as well.

Not much has happened on this leave except for adding a few more planks and reshaping the stern gallery support as ive had alot of other things going on which has stopped me from getting into the build this time home,but hopfully when i get home next time things will progress abit more.

View attachment 118533

View attachment 118534

View attachment 118535

View attachment 118536

View attachment 118537

cheers steve

DSCF0064.JPG

DSCF0065.JPG

DSCF0066.JPG

DSCF0067.JPG

DSCF0068.JPG

First Name
barry
Looking great with all that planking Steve ,making me broody I want to build one!!!!.

takeslousyphotos

No Tears Please. It's a Waste of Good Suffering.
First Name
Peter
That is looking great Steve ....... You have the planking thing well sorted ........ Rather you than me,.... No-one, could pay me enough to ever take on a planked hull again. you have my admiration.

S

steve244

thanks for the comments gents to be honest i really enjoy this part of the build process and fined building wooden ships relaxing it takes my mind off things having to concentrate on how the next plank is going to lay on the frame, maybe i just enjoy the punishment lol.

cheers steve

C

Caledonia

Great work Steve, having done a couple of plank-on-frame ships so I can appreciate the work and effort you are putting into this build, and in particular how you are shaping each plank. Keep up the excellent work. Derek

S

steve244

Hi Derek

Sorry for the delay in answering but due to the oil crisis i now have to do longer trips at sea, but thank you for the comments they're always welcome.Its coming along slowly and even more so now since the wife wanted a new 3 piece suite which didn't look that big in the showrooms it took up all the space in the living room to the point where i had to sell the dinning table that i work on lol so not sure now when i will be getting back to building.

cheers steve

james pithouse

Models are fun just ask kpnuts
First Name
James
Hi guys, hopefully pics tomorrow off the Alabama and my new model which I thought was plastic but it is not it is plank on wood even better for a 1/84 length (3ft) scale model which cost me £303 with free p&p from eBay.

good thing is the instructions actually show where the rigging goes from and too by the pics and colour coded arrows and corresponding numbers . :D :p

A

american

I creat like to see people building the great Victory. I will watch your build!!!! Very good job so far!!!!!

P

Paul P

I have always wanted to do one of these but was put off my the stories about people not getting the last bits. very impressive work