How long should a 150ml can of primer last?

J

Jack10

I bought a can of humbrol acrylic primer last week. Only used it on 1 set of figures and a small church door diorama piece. And now I can't get any more out of the can it seems like it is empty. Surely it should last longer than that?

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
They don't last long, so much is wasted with over spray, best off sticking to using an airbrush, but it should last longer than that.

peterairfix

SMF Supporter
First Name
peter
As an ex rattle can user they should last a lot longer as I have built a titanic that was over a metre long and one can gave me two coats and I still had some left over.
And as John said stick with the airbrush as I hate to know how much I have spent on rattle cans over the years.

dave

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Is it empty or has the nozzle become blocked, I always spray the last bit out with the can upside down onto some newspaper to prevent that.

J

Jens Andrée

spray the last bit out with the can upside down onto some newspaper to prevent that.
I can't stress enough how important this is when using a spray can.

Remove the nozzle and press the stem of the valve carefully down to a hard surface you don't care about and see if anything comes out.
This'll tell you if it's a matter of a clogged nozzle or if you've used up the can.

Airbrush is the way to go. Also with practise you quickly learn how much primer is needed because it's easy to use too much paint in the beginning. I sure did...