How to Paint Pilots

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
I promised a while back that I'd give a 'step-by-step' guide to how I paint figures (specifically pilots). And so, a little belatedly, I'm posting the 'How to...'.

This tutorial will not be quick as I'm doing several other things concurrently and I'm slotting this in as and when I can. Anyway, on to subject at hand...

Rather than just show how I paint 1 figure I thought it would be more useful to see the technique across a range of figures. I've therefore gone and prepared 8 figures from various sources and hope that this will be of interest.

So here's the line-up...

View attachment 118884

From left to right: Douglas Bader by 'Fine Molds'; 2 BoB pilots by 'Ultracast'; 1 Pilot, 1 Waaf by 'Wings', 2 Luftwaffe ground crew by Verlinden, 1 BoB scrambling pilot by Aerobonus. All figures are resin apart from the Bader figure which is injection plastic.

(The technique I use is the same whether your figure is plastic, resin or metal)

A couple of shots showing detail...

View attachment 118885

View attachment 118886

Personally, I think it's always worth while investing in a quality figure as it's harder to paint detail that isn't there. That said, we'll see what detail can be brought out of the Bader figure which is of course injection plastic and the details are softer as a result.

Preparation

I prepare all my figures in the same way. I always assemble the figures by glueing AND pinning limbs to torsos. I pin them with pieces of paper clip cut to suitable lengths. Most of the time I assemble the figure fully but occasionally I may leave a limb pinned but unglued for ease of painting. generally though it's a neater job if you can assemble fully. Once the assembly is finished I fill any gaps with filler (note only the scrambling pilot has had filler applied). I use a variety of fillers - milliput, humbrol down to Mr Surfacer depending on the gap.

Pinned limbs...

View attachment 118887

The head again is always pinned and is left loose for ease of painting. This has 3 advantages - 1. The join is strong later on, 2. You can position the head just where you want it (looking left, right, down, up), and 3. you can clamp the head by the pin in a pin vice for ease of painting.

View attachment 118888

That's it for the moment. I'm sorry if this is a bit slow but this will take time to complete.

Thanks for your patience.

Paul

DSC_0434.jpg

DSC_0435.jpg

DSC_0437.jpg

DSC_0438.jpg

DSC_0440.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Nice info and start Paul, some good tips there.

First Name
Dave
This should be interesting as I'm looking to paint some figures soon.only 1/48 injection moulded ones though.

john i am

SMF Supporter
First Name
john
Great thread watching with interest

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
This should be interesting,I,m always very interested to see how others do things, ;)

great start so far Paul,with useful info, :D

C

CharleyGnarlyP290

Thanks for posting this, Paul. Figures have always been a weak point for me... especially faces.

Can't wait to see more.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Great idea, looking forward to more. Figure painting isn't something I've tried. The Douglas Bader figure looks good, but the seams are a bit of a turn off.

B

Bunkerbarge

This is going to be particularly interesting for a lot of us so many thanks for putting it together. I find it very interesting to compare the quality of the different figures and compare the levels of detail.

Could you please let us know what scale they are?

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Thanks everyone for the interest in this thread.

Please be mindful that this thread will take a long while to complete as I'm finishing these figures real-time and I have other projects as well. But I will try and be as quick as I can.

Richard: these figures are all 1/32. The 'Wings' and 'Ultracast' resin figures are of great quality with the Fine Molds injection-plastic Bader figure needing some seam removal and obviously lacking the finesse of it's neighbours. The Verlinden figures are also showing their age but it will be interesting to see how all these paint up.

Thanks everyone

P

Last edited by a moderator:

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Splendid. I've been waiting for this.

Snowman

We come in peace, so shoot to kill!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
I've scootched up and am watching......o_O

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
\ said:
I promised a while back that I'd give a 'step-by-step' guide to how I paint figures (specifically pilots). And so, a little belatedly, I'm posting the 'How to...'.
This tutorial will not be quick as I'm doing several other things concurrently and I'm slotting this in as and when I can. Anyway, on to subject at hand...

Rather than just show how I paint 1 figure I thought it would be more useful to see the technique across a range of figures. I've therefore gone and prepared 8 figures from various sources and hope that this will be of interest.

So here's the line-up...

View attachment 130564

From left to right: Douglas Bader by 'Fine Molds'; 2 BoB pilots by 'Ultracast'; 1 Pilot, 1 Waaf by 'Wings', 2 Luftwaffe ground crew by Verlinden, 1 BoB scrambling pilot by Aerobonus. All figures are resin apart from the Bader figure which is injection plastic.

(The technique I use is the same whether your figure is plastic, resin or metal)

View attachment 130565

View attachment 130566

Personally, I think it's always worth while investing in a quality figure as it's harder to paint detail that isn't there. That said, we'll see what detail can be brought out of the Bader figure which is of course injection plastic and the details are softer as a result.

Preparation

I prepare all my figures in the same way. I always assemble the figures by glueing AND pinning limbs to torsos. I pin them with pieces of paper clip cut to suitable lengths. Most of the time I assemble the figure fully but occasionally I may leave a limb pinned but unglued for ease of painting. generally though it's a neater job if you can assemble fully. Once the assembly is finished I fill any gaps with filler (note only the scrambling pilot has had filler applied). I use a variety of fillers - milliput, humbrol down to Mr Surfacer depending on the gap.

Pinned limbs...

View attachment 130567

The head again is always pinned and is left loose for ease of painting. This has 3 advantages - 1. The join is strong later on, 2. You can position the head just where you want it (looking left, right, down, up), and 3. you can clamp the head by the pin in a pin vice for ease of painting.

View attachment 130568

That's it for the moment. I'm sorry if this is a bit slow but this will take time to complete.

Paul
I'm in on this as I have a tin full of figs I want to paint and am blooming awful especially with the faces so yes I got my cuppa and I'm watching and taking written notes too

Robert

First Name
Gregg
I definitely need to watch this.

Never been any good with figures, but can't seem to stop using them on my builds.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
I definitely need to watch this.
Never been any good with figures, but can't seem to stop using them on my builds.
I know how you feel!

Steve

L

Laurie

\ said:

So here's the line-up...

View attachment 130564

View attachment 130565

View attachment 130566

Preparation

Pinned limbs...

View attachment 130567

View attachment 130568

Paul
That is great information Paul. Always have trouble with limbs especially angles of arms when seated as driver etc. the paper clip is a perfect answer.

You mention good quality figures. Where do you get yours as I have found it difficult to locate ?

Laurie