Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I hope you're long sighted Tony lol

Bit more done, Got the motor primed and thinking about what colour to paint it...

Built the floats and put a bit of lead in them, should I fold the wings...

Any way, View attachment 76576

View attachment 76577

Found some nice fine stainless wire, I think its for rigging RC sail boats... Drilled the holes and threaded it through and left it loose. I can then pull them tighter and glue them later.

Ian M

IMAG1317.jpg

IMAG1318.jpg

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Nice job Ian. I would never have thought to put weight in the floats. Noted for future reference. That shop is quite comprehensive, all sorts of extra goodies in there.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
The weights are in the destructions, so I can't say it was my idea. Oh the canopy, I actually bought mine via John. He is rather good and always gets things in for you if he does not stock it. It saves a lot of postage as I only have to pay the one place to sent it. I digress.

Cheers Joe.

Ian M

P

Polux

Looking a very good work so far Ian.

Excuse my late response, mate :oops:

Polux

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Been at the bench most of the day...

Got a few things sorted:

View attachment 76607

I have started to assemble the cock pit. Its only glued from the Bulkhead to the radio station, as there are a few bits to go in the back yet.
View attachment 76608

I also got the most of the motor painted, Did it with Alclads, Gunmetal for the base of the block. The intake pipes are in stainless as is the ignition thingie.
View attachment 76610

View attachment 76611

View attachment 76612

Got the wings built, and knitted the wires up for the floats bracing. Still need a bit of tightening before the bottom goes on.
View attachment 76613

View attachment 76614

Then there are the exhaust manifolds....Painted them flat brown then attacked them with pigment powers from vallejo...I figured loads of salt water and heat they are going to rust quicker than a Fiat in Ireland!
Thats about it for today, Off out to dinner with friends later.

Ian M

View attachment 76609

IMAG1319.jpg

IMAG1320.jpg

IMAG1321.jpg

IMAG1322.jpg

IMAG1324.jpg

IMAG1325.jpg

IMAG1326.jpg

IMAG1327.jpg

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Superb work Ian , the exhausts look brilliant (as does the cockpit , engine and rigging!) Theres just one really BIG problem with your build , its making me want one of these so bad!!!!! cheers tony

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Cheers John. Your'n aint to shabby either.

Tony. It seems that this is a kit that is contagious, I have seen a couple on here and Vaughans one he did recently tipped the scales..Not to often I have built planes wiv crosses on!

Right then, A bit more done this evening.

Threw a bit of primer at it then gave the 'metal' panels, the wings and floats a bit of Alclad Aluminium ready for a bit of chipping.

On taking the photos I found out why the engine looked odd. I have put the exhausts on the wrong way up!!! Got that sorted OK as I had only used a tiny dab CA to fix them CA it good but brittle, so easy to crack off again.

View attachment 76877

The fuselage is only dry fitted at the moment, It fits well but will need a clamp to hold it together when I glue it. Gentle squeezing shows a good fit.
View attachment 76878

View attachment 76879

And here is the BMW radial, with the pipes in the right place! It just needs a bit more wear and tear and a few chips before I pack it away.
A question. The prop. Wide or narrow chord...? I rather like the wide one but not sure if it is the right one.

Looking at the parts, and marks for holes that need drilling or not, it looks to me like there might have been/are plans for the early version with the single pontoon and two outrigger floats... One to watch out for perhaps?

Any comments welcome as usual.

Ian M

IMAG1328.jpg

IMAG1331.jpg

IMAG1332.jpg

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Great work Ian, it is looking fantastic. According to online reviews I found, only one of the propellers will fit the back plate and spinner.

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
I missed this one Ian a very impressive start. I love the engine detail with some nice weathering. Looking forward to further updates. By the way nice to see somebody else using the Berna clamps. What do you think to them?

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Thanks chaps.

Vaughan. The Berna clamps are in fact rather good I think. OK a bit fiddly to start with, but having found the trick is to let gravity do its thing and not try to clamp them tight! Just enough pressure to hold the parts in place and they work a treat. Thanks Laurie!

I might just get some paint on it soon. A bit of preshade maybe...?

Ian M

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I got the undersides sprayed with RLM 65 and that is now hardening until tomorrow when I might start on the top sides.

View attachment 76950

I have chosen to got for the Crete version as well. Two reasons, I like yellow and I wont end up buying the catapult!!!

Ian M

IMAG1335.jpg

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Looking good Ian, the pre-shading has worked well.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Stayed at home today, Cant keep warm in a central heated house and didn't fancy sitting in a cold drafty warehouse all day and getting even more of a cold.

So I got some work done on the Arado. painted the base colour last night and did the camouflage today. Preshade as expected vanished under the dark greens. I s'pose I'll have to post shade now!

Here are the photos.

View attachment 77024

View attachment 77025

the floats got a total coat of Alclad white aluminium then a splattering of liquid mask. Why I don't stick to salt or hair spray I will never know.
View attachment 77026

The colours are Xtracrylix RLM 72 and 73. Sprayed sort of free hand. I masked the edge of the areas and dusted a bit of paint on, then removed the masking and sprayed it propper, following the lines.
I spent most of the afternoon picking liquid mask off from under the paint. I think I got most of it....

Ian M

IMAG1336.jpg

IMAG1337.jpg

IMAG1338.jpg

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Looking good Ian, the weathering is working well.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Got a few bits stuck on today and have started to give it a gloss coat. Still need to do the top of the wings, then its decal time...

One beaten up Arado:

View attachment 77058

View attachment 77059

The panels around the motor are only held in place with a bit of white tac, they will be open when I get that far.

Ian M

IMAG1339.jpg

IMAG1340.jpg