Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I'll start with the details:
All paints are Sovereign Hobbies (formerly White Ensign) Colour Coat enamels airbrushed over Alclad II primer.
The Kit:
This will build into a good ship out of the box with no extra purchases needed. BUT to get a better kit work needs to be done. Trumpeter had issues with the time line and even though sold as 1941 it was a mix of many refits. With the help of The Hood Associations web site, the book; Anatomy of a Battleship: HMS Hood. A good few alterations have been made. I could have made even more changes but to be honest, the chances of anyone here (at home) knowing that its not quite right are zero.
Since starting this build there have turned up lots of PE from Both Eduard and some other firm I cant recall. The prices though are insane the full set from the one maker costing nearly £400!!! Eduards are cheaper and can be bought in sets. If I knew I might have gotten hold of the railings set from Eduard. The ones in the kits extensive PE are, err. to generic and to make a halfway decent job they require cutting up and such. NOT FUN.
Anyway. I settled for the kits PE and a set of metal barrels for the main guns and the twin barrels duel purpose cannons. Anti ship and Anti aircraft if you are wondering.
Enough waffling: Show os the Photos! I hear you all cry:
IMG_0799.JPG IMG_0801.JPG IMG_0802.JPG IMG_0803.JPG IMG_0804.JPG IMG_0805.JPG IMG_0807.JPG IMG_0808.JPG IMG_0809.JPG IMG_0810.JPG IMG_0811.JPG
Sorry for the shadows of my noggin in some of them, the sun (remember that) was being a pain and shining through the window behind me.
And Just for Tony, a picture of where she will spent the rest of her days.
I Hope you have enjoyed the build as much as I have.
Comments welcome
Build thread is here http://www.scale-models.co.uk/threads/ian-ms-hms-hood-trumpeter-1-200.27557/page-11#post-366324

Last edited:

peterairfix

SMF Supporter
First Name
peter
Been watching on the quiet and that's a superb build still to finish mine.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Cheers chaps.
That Yard arm on the main mast is a bit bent. I must have pulled a bit to hard when I glued the signal lanyards in place...Note to others. If you are going to rig a ship throw the plastic yardarms and make some up in brass wire. Like I should have done.... Grr.

J

John Rixon

Awesome job Ian! The rigging is simply superb, and really adds to the whole event. Just doing the antenna on my Corsair had me sweating, I have no concept of how anyone can rig a ship like this!

G

Graham D

Amazing build. It's such a good looking ship. BTW Where did you get the display cabinates.

F

Fenlander

Very nicely done Ian. As you may suspect, my Bismarck is still in the box:sad: you really have made a great job of Hood though, well done mate.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Thanks for the kind words.
John, believe it or not this was the first time I have built a battleship in full rig. And yes it was a nightmare. Lol
Graham D, the cabinets, I built those as well :smiling4:.
Graham fenlander I know exactly how you feel, I left this alone for the whole of the summer..:sleeping:

J

John Rixon

Well it looks the absolute bees knees! There's some real PE skills going on there too.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Superb , breathtaking build Ian . The amount of work thats gone into this is unbelievable and it shows . It looks amazing , you should be well chuffed , cheers tony

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Thanks chaps...much appreciated