Ian M's Lightning

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Well due to technical problems my planed build was to be a twin stick T4 from 74 squadron. Due to having the WRONG airframe I will be doing a single seater from the same squadron..

Here are the bits. I have a resin cock pit some where, I'll find that later.

View attachment 75656

This is the original boxing of the F6 that Airfix have just re boxed and to pimp it up a bit, I have a PE and white metal set from Flight path. As said I have a Neomega resin cockpit some place....

The subject is a bare metal finish with black tail and spine.

I'm off to find some photos of the 'gubbins' that are hidden in the spine....

Ian M

View attachment 75657

IMAG1288.jpg

IMAG1289.jpg

First Name
Gregg
\ said:
Well due to technical problems my planed build was to be a twin stick T4 from 74 squadron. Due to having the WRONG airframe I will be doing a single seater from the same squadron..Here are the bits. I have a resin cock pit some where, I'll find that later.

View attachment 75238 View attachment 75237

This is the original boxing of the F6 that Airfix have just re boxed and to pimp it up a bit, I have a PE and white metal set from Flight path. As said I have a Neomega resin cockpit some place....

The subject is a bare metal finish with black tail and spine.

I'm off to find some photos of the 'gubbins' that are hidden in the spine....

Ian M
A couple of the photo's posted in the £11000 lightning post may be of help!

Gregg

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Thats the plan Ian. Its just a matter of finding out where and what to put in the holes.!

I might have found an F1a/F3 just waiting for a reply. Found one for sale but the ad just said Airfis 1/48 EE Lightning... So I might just have to build two!!! (maybe just not at the same time though :smiling3: )

Ian M

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
You could ask those nice people at FAST in Farnborough if they have any photo's, they have a T bird Lightning on display.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
yeah! Just got a reply Its an F1 version so I'm having that.... Watch this space...

So it will be either the T4, or an F6 or in the event of total madness, both. Either way they will be tiger squadron birds.... I better check up on the Alclad stock...

Thanks Rick, I'll see if I can find them and drop them a line.

Ian M

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
If you want detail photo's of the outside I'll ask them if they will let me get closer. The museum is 5 mins away. It is in the original building number 1 of the airfield is listed and was the HQ of the RAF when it was formed on 1st April 1918. And it's well worth a visit.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Sounds good Rick. If you find yourself with nowt better to do I would be interested. You could post them in the reference section for all to see.

Cheers.

Ian M

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Been having a look at the Flight path set.... I dont think I will be using much of it. The weapons and accessory parts yes. But the rest is to over thought.

Ian M

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Looking forward to seeing this one Ian, I might even pluck up the courage to do mine ,its only been in the stash about 6 years!

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Hmph!

Just heard from the guy selling the F1 kit....there are parts missing and he wont sell it like that.... Bugger.

He has probably changed his mind or seen how much they go for on flea bay.

Ian m

C

Caledonia

\ said:
Been having a look at the Flight path set.... I dont think I will be using much of it. The weapons and accessory parts yes. But the rest is to over thought.Ian M
I bought the Flight Path when I did my Lightning and reported at the time that I did not use much of it. An expensive waste.

Found this photo in my 1967 collection, I know it's not the Mk that you are planning but may be of some limited use.

Cheers Derek

View attachment 75793

Trainer Leuchars 1967.jpg

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Thanks Derek I recall reading that actually, I looks good but just to over the top. A whole cockpit tub in PE.... I had a good look and there are a few bits I might use. Other wise its a fight to the death with the Aires resin wheel bays and jet pipes I might end up buying...

I cut the Omega resin cock pit parts from the casting blocks and primed them Not much to see so no photos yet.

Ian m

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Well I got the tub and bang seat painted. Sort of. I really think that I am due a new pair of glasses soon...

View attachment 75854

View attachment 75855

View attachment 75856

Still got a few gizmoes and dodabs to paint and the harness on the seat needs some metal. Off to see if I can find some undercart bays on the interweb.

Ian M

IMAG1291.jpg

IMAG1292.jpg

IMAG1293.jpg

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Nice work so far Ian. I like the single seater, the two seater looks like a guppy.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Having ponced about with the flight path PE for the wheel wells for over an hour, on just one of them I pinged it off again and have ordered a set of resin ones. They migh take a bit of fettling to get to fit but those PE ones are just nasty.

Thanks Joe, I agree a big fat sexy guppy. :oops:

Ian M

First Name
Richard
Nice one Alen,

definitely following this build

Cheers Richi

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
You're welcome Roger. LOL

My bit's are on the way so I might get a bit more done later.

Ian M

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Looking very nice Ian. I'd love to join in with a Lightening, but just a bit too much on at the moment.