ICM 1/16 Viking

• Thread starter Deleted member 6559
  • Start date

BigGreg

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gregory
Peter.... Well as usual... what can I say the colors.. the intensity of the skin tones and the atmosphere that you give to the figures..... well they are absolutely fantastic...

Richard48

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Ooh i say what a Bobby dazzler.Really like this chappie Peter.
Mighty fine work.
Richard.

D

Deleted member 6559

Cheers Richard

Not a bad figure for a plastic kit.

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

Excellent finish so far with the natural colours

The face is superbly animated, and really good teeth too

He does look really angry!

Have a great finish today

Regards

Steve H

D

Deleted member 6559

Hi Steve - I've tried to keep the colours as natural as possible - vegetable dyes etc. Of course he's yelling ''ODIN!!!!!!!''

I've now painted and attached most of his gear:

100_3041.JPG100_3042.JPG

That included the purse, sax (long knife), sword scabbard and axe, which I've attached by a strap to his belt. I'm also going to try and get the hands done today - the shield alone will be an all-day job.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Peter
So glad that granddadness is suiting you. Exhausting and bankrupting you as well not doubt but your painting isn't suffering. His is looking really great. Wouldn't like to be a poor old native Brit seeing him and his mates pouring out of a longship and up the hill hell bent on rape and pillage! (based on the Hollywood history of the Vikings)
Jim

D

Deleted member 6559

Hi Jim - Terrifying people, the Northmen. Seems like they got everywhere too - St David's cathedral was built in a valley so that it couldn't be seen from the sea, but they found it anyway.

Hands and sword on:

100_3045.JPG100_3043.JPG

I ended up breaking the kit sword into many tiny pieces, which was a shame, so I had to opt for a Verlinden spare instead. At least it's more robust.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 6559

Thanks Jim. Just the shield now.

D

Deleted member 6559

Finished:

100_3046.JPG100_3049.JPG100_3050.JPG100_3052.JPG100_3051.JPG

The last session involved painting and fitting the shield - always a bit tricky as their are two sides, which means protecting the painted one while the other side is done. I based the design on the box art, which I presume depicts one of Odin's ravens. I first drew it on in pencil, then used a fine brush to get the sweeping curves. I also decided to quarter the background in two colours to add interest. After the basic colours were painted, I used brown shoe polish and antiquing wax to dull of the colours and provide some wear and shading.

The next job was to add the arrows. These had to be cut to pass through the shield - fortunately ICM provided locating marks on either side of the shield so that the parts lined up. The final stage was to make and attach the strap.

The base is an old Verlinden one with added grass tufts, garden roots and birch seed leaves.

A terrific figure to work on - really enjoyable.

D

Deleted member 5819

Hi Peter stunninig work as ever, I think this one is one of your best :thumb2::thumb2::thumb2:.
Old Puffer Pete.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Peter
You are a most accomplished figure painter. You are able to tackle a wide variety of subjects with very high end results. All done in your own inimitable, recognisable style. This is superb. Certainly up there with you very best.
Jim

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Peter
Another excellent figure. One for the front of the cabinet.

Peter

D

Deleted member 6559

Pete - Thank you. I did really enjoy this one.

Tim - Thanks. I'm relieved the shield worked out first time. They usually take at least two attempts.

Jim - Very kind words, thank you. Still a lot to learn though.......

Peter - Glad you like him. Should cover up that musketeer nicely!

D

Deleted member 6559

Tried to get a couple of clearer photos:

100_3055.JPG100_3056.JPG