ICM 1/32 I-16 Type 24

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
This is my first ICM kit and it is great to see yet another manufacturer producing kits in 1/32 scale.

This ugly little fighter actually fought on pretty much equal terms with the Bf109 in the Spanish Civil War but the Germans were able to develop the 109 to give it the advantage by the start of WW2. This aicraft was the mainstay of the Russian fighter force at the beginning of the war and was much liked by her pilots. They stayed in service well beyond the point where they should have been pensioned off.

The box-top
IMG_3712 (002).jpg
It is a nice sturdy box.

I have some aftermarket
IMG_3713 (002).jpg

There are just three grey sprues and a clear one.
IMG_3715.jpg

it is a simple kit but with 'different' engineering.

The plastic is good quality, very much like the plastic Special Hobby use, but that is where the comparison with SH limited run kits ends. This kit certainly does not have the vices of limited run with the engineering rather well thought out, a good fit and positive location points. The plastic is clean and crisp with little clean up needed it is also beautifully detailed.

Construction starts with the wings - yes I did say the engineering is diferent!

Look at the fine surface detail here:
IMG_3716 (002).jpg
As you can see here, there are really only the sprue tabs to clean up, plus just a scrape of the sanding stick on the wing tip. Almost flash free.

Speaking of flash, that brings me to the 'kings of flash and sinkholes', Revell. They are releasing the ICM kit under their own brand. I do not know if they have just borrowed the molds to use their own plastic or have bought in the sprues from ICM to just package under their brand. It would be an idea to check that out before risking the Revell boxing as if Revell's plastic is being used then it will be an inferior product. In short - do not trust my comments to necessarily reflect on the Revell boxing.

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Looks to be an interesting kit Barry. I have seen the Revell version and yes it may well be a re-boxing.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
It certainly is an interesting kit Vaughan and it is coming together beautifully.

As mentioned the build starts with the wings.
IMG_3717 (002).jpg
Above you can see a front section that, once I have finished with the seams, will fit into the gap and my test fit shows it fitting perfectly.

I then fitted two bulkheads into the side of a fuselage and taped the two sides together to make sure the angle was correct. In the pic they are glued only to one side.
IMG_3718 (002).jpg
IMG_3719 (002).jpg
As you can see a perfect fit.

Once dry I removed the tape...
IMG_3720 (002).jpg
You an see some detail previously added to the inside.

There are more interior parts under preparation.
IMG_3721 (002).jpg

I am very happy with this kit indeed, ICM are clearly a manufacturer to watch.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Barry
Well done to ICM. A large scale plane that looks to be very well done. I look forward to the rest of this.
Jim

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Some more progress with the first sub-assemblies. I am really enjoying the building stage and I have encountered no issues at all.

I painted the back-plate of the instrument panel black to make the white in the dials stand out better and when dry applied the decal. I will fit that into the ip transparency the put a drop of liquid mask onto the dials before spraying.
IMG_3722.jpg
It should look quite good when installed. Sorry the pic is unfocussed on the ip. I will get a better one when it is done.

That front piece to the wing was, as expected, a perfect fit. I have a little tidying up to finish now on the wing.

IMG_3724 (002).jpg

Another bulkhead installed and that is about as far as I can go with the internals before painting.
IMG_3725 (002).jpg
Note the edge to the forward bulkhead. I went and applied cement to the wrong side with the halves taped together to get the right angle and ended up seperating the parts to correct it. Easier to join the fuse halves with these all on the same side.

I have started work on the stabs and the engine.
IMG_3723 (002).jpg
The parts that connect the engine to the bulkhead are a little over scale but need to be strong so not a bad thing, specially as none of that will be visible as I will 'button up' the engine as usual.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Barry
You're off to a good start and so far the fit is making progress straightforward. The instrument panel looks nice, very neat, and will set off the cockpit perfectly. Glad that the glue on the wrong was easily sorted.
Jim

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Barry,
I made the ICM 1/48 version of this. Nice little kit, but most of the internal work is hidden! I don't know if the 1/32 version is different, but the 1/48 exhaust pipes were an absolute pig to fit, then when all is assembled, you can only see stubs! Similarly the engine is really nice, but the only view you get of it is through the front cooling louvres!
ICM have become one of my favourite makers at the moment, their choice of models is good, and their mouldings have improved, to almost equal the best of the Far East Makers.
Their weak point is the decals - I've had them disintegrate, refuse to come off the backing paper........, best to replace them if possible!
Dave

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Barry,
I made the ICM 1/48 version of this. Nice little kit, but most of the internal work is hidden! I don't know if the 1/32 version is different, but the 1/48 exhaust pipes were an absolute pig to fit, then when all is assembled, you can only see stubs! Similarly the engine is really nice, but the only view you get of it is through the front cooling louvres!
ICM have become one of my favourite makers at the moment, their choice of models is good, and their mouldings have improved, to almost equal the best of the Far East Makers.
Their weak point is the decals - I've had them disintegrate, refuse to come off the backing paper........, best to replace them if possible!
Dave
Hence the Montez masks Dave. I much prefer them to decals. No issue with the up decal though.

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
Very nice indeed and I think I made this kit in 1/48 ( possibly the Eduard kit ) but I think I built OOB no extras.
I'll defo be watching this and a very nice start indeed

Regards

Robert

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Some more progress to report.

Cockpit internals done, painted and weathered.
3CDAB413-332F-46EB-B04B-FE1C83C4D1B4.jpeg
137D56B1-C0A9-4CF6-B501-8B8B0DC0816E.jpeg

I have glued the fuselage sides together. Good overall fit.

19189142-A6ED-4A95-93F8-67589AF02085.jpeg

94049CB2-A111-4546-8AB1-8993C95B59E2.jpeg

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
One more progress pic. After treating the seams with Mr Surfacer 500 and sanding them I joined the fuselage to wing. Almost a perfect fit and it just needs a little Mr Dissolved Putty treatment.

83273D32-6ACD-4115-A82A-FFB508CFAC26.jpeg

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Great progress Barry ,it looks like a lovely kit ,as if my stash isnt big enough looks like this is going on my 'to look out for' list ! The eduard seat belts look superb , really makes a big difference as the cockpit is naturally quite sparse , cheers tony

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
It is a nice kit Tony, I recommmed it. I will certainly be looking out for more ICM 1/32 releases.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
I have been working on some sub-assemblies:
IMG_3733.jpg
While also pulling together the main airframe. Beautiful fit overall, no problems at all with the engine panels though I did see a build where the panels had gaps, not this build.
IMG_3734 (002).jpg
IMG_3735 (002).jpg
There is just a small step to sort out on the underside. I applied some Vallejo Plastic putty, sanded it down and then some Mr Dissolved Putty over the top to help smooth down the surface ready for sanding and feathering in.
IMG_3736 (002).jpg
I will finish that tonight, give the model a wash and make sure there are no obvious flaws left before masking and applying a coat of primer.

dave

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Coming along nicely, just caught up on this thread.