I'm a newbie

M

mike158

When using acrylic paints, is it necessary to remove the paint from the area to be glued?

D

Deleted member 3568

Ideally whatever paint you are using it is advisable to remove paint from the areas to be glued. This is especially important if using plastic cement as this works by melting the plastic to make it stick. Oh and welcome to the friendliest forum on the net.

J

Jens Andrée

Welcome! :smiling3:

Like Ken said it's always a good idea to remove paint (or avoid painting that area) where you're going to glue/bond.
However... I'm using Tamiya paint and I "glue" everything plastic with Tamiya extra thin cement, which is just a solvent that's dissolving the plastic, and it works fine through the paint!
It leaves bad marks on the paint though, but I can glue a piece to a painted object without problems. This is something I only do when I have to - like when I've forgotten something and not noticed it until after I started painting it... ;)

It's also useful if you break something.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
As a little side note. Enamel paint and tamiya extra thin: When attaching very small parts (Where there is no need for structural strength). This glue actually works pretty good through paint! I saw some guy on Youtube, (Andy's model HQ) doing it and gave it a try, The glue gets right through the paint and fixes things firmly. As it evaporates so fast the damage is almost none existent and no touch ups are needed. In the right place it looks just like a 'natural' stain on the paint, oil, fuel or the like...
Saves a heap of work when attaching hundreds of small bits and bobs to things like armour and ships. Might not work to well on a nice shiny car though.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
I almost never scrape the paint away before joining the parts. I use Gunze Mr S Cement which is a 'hot' glue that melts through the paint and bonds the plastic. The only times I scrape the paint away is when the tolerances are very tight on the join....