I'm not that bad a modeller after all.

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
Joined
Jul 2, 2013
Messages
8,459
Likes
2,853
Points
113
First Name
Si.
#1
I found these pictures from the TV series Red Dwarf. These are from another company that updated the original model.


Take a look and don't forget, this ship is 3ft long approx. I was surprised by the painting/weathering and finish. I reckon my space junk looks just as good and mine is only 10 inch long.


Spot the 1/35 scale fuel can :smiling3:


The masking prep and removal isn't the best nor is the touch up.


Granted, this ship was in storage but still, take heart fellow modellers, this was on TV. I think we should be rather proud of our builds, I know I am now!
 

SWR

SMF Poster
Joined
Nov 5, 2015
Messages
3,030
Likes
1,695
Points
113
First Name
Ralph
#2
I see what you mean Si.


Obviously you have a talent for taking crap and making it look..well..more crap than what you started with. :P :D :D:D
 

takeslousyphotos

No Tears Please. It's a Waste of Good Suffering.
Joined
Apr 14, 2013
Messages
3,662
Likes
1,386
Points
113
First Name
Peter
#3
for a TV model I'm not surprised really...... They deal with most of the crap with lighting and post production. A lot of years ago I worked on some TV sets, mostly for sitcoms and they were really mankey and thrown together. But when you see them on TV they look pretty good.
 

Polux

GB Mod.
Moderator
Joined
Jul 10, 2011
Messages
9,740
Likes
3,935
Points
113
Location
Catalonia
First Name
Polux
#4
Seriously Si....I thought, you are the only one, that doubt about your own skills ;)
 

takeslousyphotos

No Tears Please. It's a Waste of Good Suffering.
Joined
Apr 14, 2013
Messages
3,662
Likes
1,386
Points
113
First Name
Peter
#5
I have to agree with Polux there ........ you've produced some great stuff Si......... Don't beat yourself up on it so much. :smiling3:
 

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
Joined
Jul 2, 2013
Messages
8,459
Likes
2,853
Points
113
First Name
Si.
#6
\ said:
for a TV model I'm not surprised really...... They deal with most of the crap with lighting and post production. A lot of years ago I worked on some TV sets, mostly for sitcoms and they were really mankey and thrown together. But when you see them on TV they look pretty good.
Damn...you had to go and spoil it... :D
 

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
Joined
Jul 2, 2013
Messages
8,459
Likes
2,853
Points
113
First Name
Si.
#7
Not beating myself, just an observation that most us try and get better and sometimes things do not work out or do not look good to us. This thread was just to show that even the guys and gals that make stuff as a main job do not always make it look superb. I once saw an original Star Trek Enterprise model from the films and it looked like a monkey had put it together-could have been due to storage, but still it looked rough.
 

takeslousyphotos

No Tears Please. It's a Waste of Good Suffering.
Joined
Apr 14, 2013
Messages
3,662
Likes
1,386
Points
113
First Name
Peter
#8
\ said:
Damn...you had to go and spoil it... :D
.......and they wasted money like it came out of a tap. I we are talking 30 years ago, I went to the Southern TV studio one day to do a job and all I had to do was connect a hose pipe from an outside tap and run it to a tap on a kitchen set (apparently the woman on the show was going to fill a kettle) ......... a length of hose, two jubilee clips and 20 minutes. They paid me £ 300 for it........... and a mate of mine worked there. his job was just hanging around and go fetching stuff if they needed it....... Like if the director decided someone needed to have a newspaper in a shot. My mate went to the paper shop to get one. Most of the time he had nothing to do but was paid a fortune.
 

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
Joined
Jul 2, 2013
Messages
8,459
Likes
2,853
Points
113
First Name
Si.
#9
\ said:
.......and they wasted money like it came out of a tap. I we are talking 30 years ago, I went to the Southern TV studio one day to do a job and all I had to do was connect a hose pipe from an outside tap and run it to a tap on a kitchen set (apparently the woman on the show was going to fill a kettle) ......... a length of hose, two jubilee clips and 20 minutes. They paid me £ 300 for it........... and a mate of mine worked there. his job was just hanging around and go fetching stuff if they needed it....... Like if the director decided someone needed to have a newspaper in a shot. My mate went to the paper shop to get one. Most of the time he had nothing to do but was paid a fortune.
And who ever said the Licence Fee is good value :D
 
Joined
Jul 10, 2009
Messages
6,970
Likes
2,752
Points
113
First Name
Patrick
#10
You're a great modeller Si! I really don't think that you need to use those examples to highlight your stuff.


When you consider the budget, materials, work area etc etc that TV companies provide, you'd expect much better props. On Red Dwarf, I can't help but see the light bulb simulating the drive exhaust!
 

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
Joined
Jul 2, 2013
Messages
8,459
Likes
2,853
Points
113
First Name
Si.
#11
\ said:
You're a great modeller Si! I really don't think that you need to use those examples to highlight your stuff.
When you consider the budget, materials, work area etc etc that TV companies provide, you'd expect much better props. On Red Dwarf, I can't help but see the light bulb simulating the drive exhaust!
Oh, don't get wrong, not slating my work in general. Just noticed that comparing with what TV and film makers have, even low end budgets, there's can look-as Kryten would say "A tad dodgy."


Could be time constraints etc.
 

monica

SMF Poster
Joined
Oct 30, 2013
Messages
12,242
Likes
5,656
Points
113
First Name
monica
#12
Polux,Peter,have summed it up you do produced,some fine build,and always some different as well,


which is enjoyable to see,I for one like you work,and you need no camera tricks to make it look better


than it is, ;)
 

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
Joined
Jul 2, 2013
Messages
8,459
Likes
2,853
Points
113
First Name
Si.
#13
\ said:
Polux,Peter,have summed it up you do produced,some fine build,and always some different as well,
which is enjoyable to see,I for one like you work,and you need no camera tricks to make it look better


than it is, ;)
I know I sometimes are not happy with my builds, but I think modellers are like that sometimes. But, you're getting the wrong end of the stick, in fact I think it is probably the way I have worded it. :D


It, the 'professional' builders, do not always do a great job, despite size. :smiling3:
 
Last edited by a moderator:

monica

SMF Poster
Joined
Oct 30, 2013
Messages
12,242
Likes
5,656
Points
113
First Name
monica
#14
that's so true some think to do with the camera,will make some think look better than it is, ;)
 
Top