Italeri 1/12 Fiat Mefistofeles

• Thread starter Deleted member 3568
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 3568

Hi all well the friction dampers are definitely fiddely these took all last night (the legs/arms have round holes which are an interference fit on square pegs I was worried they might snap with the force required to push them on, so I drilled them out a bit, still a snug fit but safer

GxFsGDh.jpg

WQHxrqP.jpg

zEKKNGD.jpg

jjsuMKe.jpg

Lk9QhPQ.jpg

D

Deleted member 3568

Hi all I've read a lot about this car and from what I can gather the engine leaked oil like a sieve (in fact the driver was sitting in hot engine oil after every run ) so I've tried to depict a very oily engine.

g6g1z26.jpg

jD6cAqc.jpg

zJjnKIU.jpg

D20DVPj.jpg

grumpa

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
If I just set that quick on the kitchen table the wife would have a fit thinking I just plopped something I just yanked off one of the old tractors.:eek:

Excellent grime effects;)............Jim:smiling3:

D

Deleted member 3568

Hi all here's the next installment.

A lot of the kit supplied tubing is way out of scale, another modeler is building this (to a much higher standard than I could hope to and they are using shrink wrap tubing to great effect) the following photo is of the kit supplied tubing and the tubing I intend to use (I think you can see there is quite a difference)

8NAQIn8.jpg

nqsYM0b.jpg

y2C4jyW.jpg

OcGPIyI.jpg

BPl9aku.jpg

First Name
Marc
Wowowow love the engine detail. That oily grime is a wonderful effect.

F

Fenlander

That is one huge engine! I used to have a BSA bike that sprayed oil out the side while it was running..... At least the right leg of my jeans were waterproof :sad:

D

Deleted member 3568

Thanks marc its not paint its the actual metal, it's brass leaf, I have copper leaf for all the pipe work.

D

Deleted member 3568

Hi all I've just realised there is a huge error on this engines valve gear, every single cylinder is moulded in compression stroke (all valves closed) every multi cylinder engine I've ever worked on whilst one is closed the other is either on exhaust or intake stroke, had I have noticed before I'd brass leafed or stuck them on I could have corrected it fairly easily I think, too late now but for anyone else building this a point to remember.

D

Deleted member 3568

Hi all well as I'm doing this as she was for the record run I've primed her in black(she was painted red some time after she went into the museum, on the run she was black)

Tx2hm2y.jpg

D

Deleted member 3568

Hi all well done a bit more on this, I was told by someone building this on another forum the chain is very difficult to do(you put it together in sections then melt the little pins to keep the chain together)

well as he did I melted the first link to the one underneath, so I had a rethink activexp (the other builder) tried a solering iron with adjustable heat setting and even on the lower setting had trouble with melting links so that method I ruled out, my solution which seemed to work quite well after a few minor changes (tried cold water but cooled the blade to quick)I put the chain assy in a shallow glass dish and put just enough hot water in till it is level with the top link then heat the knife blade up and melt the pin, I made the water as hot as I could bare to put my hand in (not boiling as was worried it might warp or melt the plastic)

PNZCXAp.jpg

epc6MdT.jpg

this is just one set there are I think 4 more

V4YaOsl.jpg

mfhl7JY.jpg

SsYDa4I.jpg

D

Deleted member 3568

Hi all thinking of giving up this modeling lark but will finish what I've started and the Rolls,tbh i just don't have the time and apart from the loyal few no one is really interested in what i'm doing, anyway here is where i'm at on this .

MdaWrmE.jpg

LbFz2Xf.jpg

FCvnQAa.jpg

F

Fenlander

Don't give up, just because people do not comment does not mean they are not interested. Usually, it just means they have nothing to say or add to what has been said.

Modelling is a hobby for your own enjoyment and interests. Nobody should model to please others the aim is to please yourself. The amount of work you put into your models is amazing. Who else would use brass leaf rather than just paint? I wouldn't even know how to do that. You add so much to a kit to make it how you want it, that to me is real modelling, I just build kits but I build them for myself. It can be dissheartening when you post an don't get comments but that is the nature of forums. There can be hundreds of members but generally the majority of posts come from a couple of dozen at the most.

That couple of dozen will not be interested in everything as a subject and so some may never comment. But they still take something from what you do and it is that sharing of skills and techniques that makes forums like this so valuable.

What you give by showing your work is a big asset to everyone so please keep it up.

D

Deleted member 3568

Thanks Graham its time that is the real problem, if you look back I used to post practically every day, and enjoyed it, now, it seems, I'm lucky if I get 2 days modeling a week, and I can only see it vetting worse, it's terrible I'm like an addict and it is so frustrating wanting to build every day and not being able to.

F

Fenlander

\ said:
Thanks Graham its time that is the real problem, if you look back I used to post practically every day, and enjoyed it, now, it seems, I'm lucky if I get 2 days modeling a week, and I can only see it vetting worse, it's terrible I'm like an addict and it is so frustrating wanting to build every day and not being able to.
I certainly know that feeling. Things have changed in my life that allow me to take a more relaxed attitude to modelling, and everything else for that matter. Generally though, it is a few hours at the weekend and maybe an evening in the week. I needed for my own sanity to make that time as I was closing down everything I did and I now can achieve things in weeks that I just could not achieve at all.

Modelling has been one of the best relaxing, even when it gets sooo frustrating, hobbies I have ever had. I know one guy, have met him at many shows and he is not on this forum. He builds the most amazing models yet he never touches them in the week, he just has so many hours at the weekends. Once he accepted that this was his lot, he got into the routine and built museum standard models, maybe only a few per year but he still does it.

I have learned the hard way that it is not about the amount of time we can get, it's about what we do with the time we have. Plan your modelling around what time you can get and forget about everything else.