Italeri 1/35 S100 Schnellboot build and R/C conversion

T

tigertc

Hi all, Just thought i would share my latest build, The S100 from Italeri.

To say this is a huge kit (about a metre long)would be an understatement! It represents fantastic value for money (Premium kits can be picked up on ebay and your local model shop for around £90)

More Pictures and info to follow.

I have put the hull together with no problems, great fit and a well thought out construction by Italeri. Nut & bolt connected Cross-members for strength and screw points all along the keel to keep her together while the glue sets.

Next up is dremmeling the prop shaft holes, through the supports and into the hull.

View attachment 9093

View attachment 9094

View attachment 9095

More to come as i fit the prop shafts and motor assembly.

View attachment 20148

View attachment 20149

View attachment 20150

P1303_06-11-09.jpg

P1302_06-11-09.jpg

P1327_06-11-09.jpg

M

Mighty Finn

Achtung!! Schellboot

Good luck with the project. I am doing the same but bottled it when deciding to motorise all 3 shafts because of the cost. Decided to fit a shaft to the mid engine and have the outer ones as dummies. For any one else thinking about this kit it is outstanding and cannot fail to attract after-market sales with etched brass etc and of course Italeri's crew. Hopefully mine will be ready for the water for next summer. Meanwhile the wife has hidden the credit card following her comment "Well once it's in the water no one will be able to see that detail anyway". Women! they just don't get it do they.

T

tigertc

\ said:
Good luck with the project. I am doing the same but bottled it when deciding to motorise all 3 shafts because of the cost. Decided to fit a shaft to the mid engine and have the outer ones as dummies. For any one else thinking about this kit it is outstanding and cannot fail to attract after-market sales with etched brass etc and of course Italeri's crew. Hopefully mine will be ready for the water for next summer. Meanwhile the wife has hidden the credit card following her comment "Well once it's in the water no one will be able to see that detail anyway". Women! they just don't get it do they.
Definately going for the 3 prop set up. I also want to fit a water pump, but havent got round to looking into it yet. I guess i am on the same schedule as you as far as build goes. Hopefully for the summer!

T

tigertc

Finished off the prop shafts and fitted brass bushes inside the outer prop shaft supports. Then on to fitting the rudder assembly, once again with homemade shafts. As with my ViiC u boat i built a while back, i am using as much of the original kit as possible.

The rudders were easy enough, just a matter of drilling the correct size shaft hole. This can be a little tricky getting the hole straight, using a mini drill vice and continuous checking is the way forward. "turn- check its straight- turn- check its straight,so on"

View attachment 20177

View attachment 20178

rudders.jpg

rudder shafts.jpg

T

tigertc

Another busy couple of days in the loft. When making your own prop shafts from brass tube there is always a risk that water will seap up the tube even if full of oil/grease. This risk is always on my mind, so to try and protect the expensive bits that will be going into the S100, I have decided to fit a bulkhead that will when fitted seal off half of the boat and also hold the motors in place. So that it can be taken out if need be, i have decide to screw mount it, then seal the gaps with silicone sealant (The silicone will come off easily should i need to change a motor or two. I will also be fitting a water pump which will be float activated as a secondary precaution.

I thought the steering mechanism for three rudders was going to be a nightmare, but in fact it turned out to be quite easy once i got my head around it. The rudder control ends have been made from brass sheet with some old pinion gears i had lying around, soldered to them. This assembly is then locked onto the rudder shaft with the opion gear lock screw. I would normally just solder an arm directly to the shaft, but for this model i want everything to come apart easily should it need repairing.

The mounting of the rudder servo is also done so that both the support spars and servo can be easily removed.

View attachment 20221

View attachment 20222

View attachment 20223

View attachment 20224

View attachment 20225

View attachment 20226

P2036_10-11-09.jpg

P2037[01]_10-11-09.jpg

P1335_11-11-09.jpg

P1333_11-11-09.jpg

P1334_11-11-09.jpg

P1334[01]_11-11-09.jpg

T

tigertc

New motors & Torpedo tube door mechanism

DISASTER!!

A couple of days ago i did a bath test to check she was water tight and to test out the motors and rudder mechanism. All seemed fine at first, no leaks. Then i tested the motors, slowly at first.....then gradually increasing the power.....all ok so far. Then i let her have full throttle. After three minutes at full throttle i could smell the cost of 3 motors go up in smoke :sad:

The small motors i had put in all burnt out. I had an idea that they would not stand up to the friction that the long, grease filled, prop shafts and water resistance together would cause (More so the tubes).

I have now installed three RS380 motors and these (although overkill) are doing the job nicely. When i bath tested them the s100 shot acrooss the bath and the bow ended up half way up the bathtub wall!! :smiling3:

Torpedo tube doors.

I have now designed the torpedo door opening mechanism. After a lot of fiddling about i have managed to get one of them working, the other i will attch the same way off the same servo. video here -

In the photos below you can see the battery mount (Nice and low), the rs380's and the torpedo door mechanism.

View attachment 20348

View attachment 20349

bat box& rs380.jpg

door mount.jpg

I

ir3

Thanks for the pictures on your RC installation. After you complete the RC installation, how do you plan to fasten the main deck back on the hull. It appears that some of the screw holes are covered by torpedo mounts. Just curious since I plan on an RC model also.

Thanks,

IR3

J

John Huggins

So whats new Terry,

I so want this kit been looking at it for some time & just found ur thread and love what ur doing.

Love to see more.

John

P

phalinmegob

i got given one for free a few weeks back,it as been started but not much done, just honing my skills before i tackle it. just purchased the crew set and life raft for it which you can see in the "latest purchases thread"

J

John Huggins

Nice one Andrew.

I see there is also an Eduard Photo-etch 1/35 S-100 Schnellboot Guns & Eduard Photo-etched set 1/35 S-100 Schnellboot.

I will try to get them as well.

John

First Name
Gregg
Any more updates on this build! :smiling3:

Last edited by a moderator:

tigertc

Builder of sheds
SMF Supporter
First Name
Terry
Any more updates on this build! :smiling3:

Soon as i can mate. I'm just getting back into it. Gotta clear my loft of cobwebs and spiders that have made my model collection their home!

L

Ludwig Von Mech

Working on a scratch build. Started as a training lark for plank-on-frame and is turning into a monster. Hull is coming along OK. Trying to figure out the drive system.

tigertc

Builder of sheds
SMF Supporter
First Name
Terry
About time i updated this-
The longest build in history! I knew i had a build thread for this somewhere!

Last edited: