Italeri 1/35 Schnellboote Build

J

John Huggins

Ace work Gregg, i can only hope mine turns out half as good & i'll be happy.

John

First Name
Gregg
\ said:
Ace work Gregg, i can only hope mine turns out half as good & i'll be happy.John
Haven't seen any updates of your build lately, how is it going?

Gregg

First Name
Gregg
\ said:
Haven't seen any updates of your build lately, how is it going?Gregg
Hoping to get back on board again soon.

As I am the carer for my disabled wife and my elderly mother, I have been a little pre-occupied lately. The change in the weather has affected them both adversely, so it has had to go on the back burner again.

As we are in a very small apartment, I work on a large piece of MDF I place on the floor and spread my bits & bobs around me. I normally worked in the living room, but during the summer HWMBO got me to re-decorate & re-floor it. I have now been relocated to the bedroom floor so as not to damage the new floor with my building board, pinging photo-etch, scalpel blades, CA glues etc. Being unwell my wife frequently needs to sleep, you can guess where:sad:

as soon as she has acclimatised I can have my work room back again. :smiling3:

Now I have acquired my 'Renwall Atomic Cannon', I will have to pull my finger out and get my Boote finished, to make room for yet another rather large subject, which was a really stupid decision on my part , considering my present lack of space.:rolleyes:

I have accumulated several kits over the last year (as you do) and all are stored in my very full modelling cupboard, unfortunately the 'Atomic Annie' is yet another large box, do you think if I suggested we buy a divan bed (4 large drawers) I would get away with it! ;)

Gregg

S

Stevekir

The close-ups are remarkably realistic, especially as a result of the rust etc. The main thing that shows that it is a model is the small depth of field. This is often difficult to overcome. (I've been doing tests to help with that problem.)

Z

Ziper_it

Results achieved with painting are impressive.

Details from scale and painting makes it look real.

Francesco

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Great work Gregg. Nice weathering and effects, this is coming along nicely.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
This is looking very nice and I look forward to seeing it in all its glory.

Ian M,

C

CDW

\ said:
The main thing that shows that it is a model is the small depth of field. This is often difficult to overcome. (I've been doing tests to help with that problem.)
Take the photo from a distance using an optical zoom to fill the frame with what subject you require.

Use a tripod and natural light if you can, the depth of field will be larger.

Or again using a tripod and natural light, take the photo from where you normally do but lower your shutter speed (if possible on your make of camera) and open up the aperture this will increase the depth of field as well.

J

John Huggins

H

\ said:
Haven't seen any updates of your build lately, how is it going?Gregg
Havent touched it for a while Gregg been playing with car's but hope to get back to it soon.

John

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
\ said:
The close-ups are remarkably realistic, especially as a result of the rust etc. The main thing that shows that it is a model is the small depth of field. This is often difficult to overcome. (I've been doing tests to help with that problem.)
And There was me thinking it was the tool box in the back ground that gave it away... LOL

T

tommy1drop

Nice work Gregg, excellent weathering, looking forward to seeing more of this superb build.

Tom

First Name
Gregg
For all Boote followers I have some good news if you want to equip with mines.

Robin (ex-Cammett) of www.scalewarship.com is now producing EMC Mines sets again. A slightly different carriage assembly, and only 3 in a set but if of his usual standard they will be worth it.

I have already ordered a set, and I will post pics when they arrive (hopefully soon)

He is also looking at producing the 'Magnetic' Conical mines often seen on the stern of some Bootes.

For those interested here is the link: www.scalewarships.com/store/index/php

Gregg

First Name
Gregg
Seems that Santa is coming early this year, as I have just been informed that another company is producing EMC Mines sets. :smiling3:

www.facebook.comAFVCLUB.TW is the link to the company that will be releasing them later this month. :D

I think I may have to buy a fish tank and build a submariners display with these, what with all the brilliant sub threads lately;)

Gregg

geegad

Can't cheat fate..
First Name
John
love the weathering the rust looks so natural

First Name
Gregg
An eagerly awaited little package arrived today, and finally found the time to open it!

Well packaged and presented, there are some good quality instructions and even a cutaway of what the internals of the real thing look like.

A little dressing up to do, but no more than you would expect from resin parts

Hopefully I will be able to find the time by the weekend to get into them.

View attachment 73562

View attachment 73563

View attachment 73564

View attachment 73565

View attachment 73566

The other (AFVCLUB) mines mentioned in my previous posting, will not be released until at least January in the UK, the importer has informed me today!

Gregg

View attachment 73706

View attachment 73707

Mines.JPG

Mines (2).JPG

Mines 7.JPG

Mines 5.JPG

Mines 4.JPG

Mines 9.JPG

Mines 10.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Very nice Gregg, bit too rust streaked for me...or should I say...well sea worn, but that does not detract from the excellent build quality and those mines look the part. I remember someone at my boat club having some made from ping-pong balls and they fell overboard and floated-it was great as they bobbed on the surface with just the top third showing and everybody was trying to avoid them :D .

Super stuff.

Si:smiling3: