Italeri 1/48 Grumman Avenger

First Name
Dave
image.jpeg image.png image.png image.png image.png image.png image.png image.png image.png image.png Heres my latest completed build. I've had the kit in my stash for about 8 years. After reading a book about Fleet Air Arm aircrews fighting the Japs in the Pacific, I was inspired to build this.The decal sheet I used was from Xtradecal called 'Yanks with roundels part 3'.The model is finished as an Avenger mk2 of no.849 NAS on HMS Victorious,British Pacific Fleet 1945. The kit is not completely accurate.Bulged side windows are supplied as applicable to NAS aircraft. But British aircraft carried an observer behind the pilot. There are no parts in the kit to build the observers position.And I built this kit in my digs whilst I was working at Glasgow airport.So I didn't have access to my spare parts box.Luckily,I'm not a rivet counter and it's good enough for me as it is. I finished the model with Humbrol and Xtracolour enamels.I had a go at a faded paint finish.It was much easier now I've got a 0.3mm nozzle in my airbrush.I also used a Florymodels dark dirt wash and Alclad clear varnishes. I tried giving the prop a chipped paint look.Not completely happy with it though.

Last edited:
D

dubster72

That's really good Dave! The faded look comes across so well & it looks very detailed.

Nice to see one in something other than US Navy markings :smiling3:

First Name
Dave
That's really good Dave! The faded look comes across so well & it looks very detailed.

Nice to see one in something other than US Navy markings :smiling3:
Thanks Patrick. I fancy doing a US Navy one now

T

T. van Vuuren

That is an outstanding build Dave :smiling:
I do like the weathering and the undercart detail is very good

Theuns

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Rnice one Dave. I like that a lot.
Looks great in the FAA colours as well. Very nicely painted as well I must add.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Great job Dave. Looks to be an ideal level of weathering applied to the necessary areas. It all looks A1 to me. Glad you didn't go for that RNZAF option, the decals are way off in colour shade.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
That looks great. A nice bit of ageing creeping in there, brings life to the model.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Gorgeous Dave!! Ive loved the FAA colours ever since I made the old airfix Martlet many moons ago. The paintwork and weathering on this is simply superb ,a quality build all round , cheers tony
p.s. the prop looks perfect to my eye

First Name
Dave
Gorgeous Dave!! Ive loved the FAA colours ever since I made the old airfix Martlet many moons ago. The paintwork and weathering on this is simply superb ,a quality build all round , cheers tony
p.s. the prop looks perfect to my eye
Thanks Tony. Im currently building a special hobby Barracuda which i intend giving a weathered paint finish as well.

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
nice work,Dave,like the camo,and detail,very well done,;)