Italeri 1:9 scale Triumph 3HW (Factory Fresh)

F

Fenlander

Thanks to those who followed this build. Your supportive comments really helped me keep going when I started to get a bit fed up of this build.

It is not a bad kit, in some respects it is a remarkable kit in that every part of it is certainly recognisable. I would go as far as to say that apart from the engine and gearbox internals, this has every part the real thing has.

It is, however, an old kit and it shows it in the amount of flash and burs there are on the parts, burs being the main problem. What this means is that every round section piece, of which there are a lot on a bike kit, has to be cleaned up including every single spoke. If I had the skills to do it, it would have been quicker to re spoke it with wire. Once built it measures about 9 inches in length.

But to say that it is completely out of the box, no additions or subtractions, I think it is worth the effort to get this classic and very overlooked bike into the display cabinet. I know many would say it should be weathered but I wanted it factory fresh as delivered from Triumph around 1942. Once delivered it would undergo more changes. The Triumph badge would be removed and it's unit badges/numbers put in place.

Needs some care and attention to build but if you are prepared to put the effort in, this is a great kit to build if a little frustrating in places. Enough chat, here she is. Hope you like it.

Triumph 3HW-5.jpg

Triumph 3HW.jpg

Triumph 3HW-2.jpg

Triumph 3HW-3.jpg

Triumph 3HW-4.jpg

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
What a lovely little build Graham. It sure does look good. Particularly like the different finishes in the bright work. Chrome pipe, polished tappet cover and cast covers.
The lightness of the pictures hides it a bit but the contrast twixt them and the drab paint. It just works.

F

Fenlander

What a lovely little build Graham. It sure does look good. Particularly like the different finishes in the bright work. Chrome pipe, polished tappet cover and cast covers.
The lightness of the pictures hides it a bit but the contrast twixt them and the drab paint. It just works.

Cheers Ian. I think with any bike build the metallics make or break it. I think there are five different metallic paints used in this. Lots of messing about but worth it.

A

Awins

Looks beautiful Graham, certainly worth all the hard work that you have put in.
Cheers Alan

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
A fantastic build Graham, I really enjoyed the build thread, it got me in the mood to build a motorbike ( which I will later on. ) and what great photos that show it off perfectly. Once again great work Graham.

K

krow113

Nicely done.
2 tips for you guys building these bigger scale bikes , both regarding the black plastic tube supplied to replicate brake lines throttle cable etc.
One is to sand it , making it flat black instead of shiny, the other is to insert a strand if solid core wire to help form the cables etc.

F

Fenlander

Nicely done.
2 tips for you guys building these bigger scale bikes , both regarding the black plastic tube supplied to replicate brake lines throttle cable etc.
One is to sand it , making it flat black instead of shiny, the other is to insert a strand if solid core wire to help form the cables etc.

Have to say that in my day of bikes, 1978-1994 the control cable outers were quite glossy. However, I take your point that in scale, they could be duller. I agree with the wire, I use lead wire or copper where needed.

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
looks great,Graham,all your time spent pays off ,very nice clean build,very well done,:D

B

Builder

Superbly done Graham. Very nice work on the straps, the engine and the word Triumph. Excellent attention to detail mate.