Italeri Magirus-Deutz 1/24

F

Fenlander

Next up on the bench is the truck I recently got from John at Scale Model Shop

WP_20160601_08_58_30_Pro.jpg

This is a fair sized truck and is based on an Iveco truck but with a V10 air cooled Deutz engine. 

One great thing about truck modelling is that the painting is so involved that once you get to the paint stage, you can start building the next one and this has been started as I finished painting the Bedford which I thought was big but although the same scale, it is dwarfed by this one.

WP_20160602_14_10_36_Pro.jpg

First up was to paint the grey plastic wheels.  The callout is for glossy silver but I decided to use the Vallejo Chrome which gives a nice finish.

WP_20160601_11_32_32_Pro.jpg

WP_20160601_11_45_47_Pro.jpg

And after cleaning up thousands of mould lines on the chassis parts, we have a rolling chassis

WP_20160601_15_33_09_Pro.jpg

The engine is quite nice, not the most detailed but it will not be seen much anyway.  This and the whole of the chassis will be gloss red apart fro a few small details.

WP_20160601_17_50_19_Pro.jpg

I do like my mock-ups and this shows I need a bigger bench!!!!

WP_20160603_10_37_04_Pro.jpg

Then we have all the major sub assemblies ready for primer.  This is where the build slows down as painting is quite complex and requires a lot of forward thinking.  However, this will be when the next truck gets bench space o.O

Magirus-Deutz-1.jpg

This will all be primed in Stynylrez red primer and I will be sourcing the paint colours for it as I will be going with the same scheme as the box art.

Last edited:

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
That looks like a very nice kit, look forward to seeing more Grahamn

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
great start on this one Graham,looking good, :smiling3:

Snowman

We come in peace, so shoot to kill!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
Cool, its been about 25yrs since I last built a truck - a Kenworth Aerodyne horse.

F

Fenlander

Not a lot of in progress pictures on this build as it is not that entertaining to watch.  A lot of the time is 'build a bit, paint it, build another bit, paint it then stick it on the bit you built before it.  There is no way these can be just built and then painted.

Anyway, although there are still quite a few little bits to do, mirrors, light, door handles etc, I have at least started putting the main decals on.  I have never used decals of this size before and I must admit, I have spent a lot of today holding my breath and having my tongue hanging out.  Relatively, these are a good set to begin with as, although large, they are not as complex as some.

I have learned a lot about truck building doing this kit.  Very often, there are no locating points for some parts.  The whole cargo box on this has no fixing to the chassis, it just sits on it.  Given the size of this box and its weight, it is no good just glueing the box rails to the chassis.  They are quite fine parts and it would not be possible to get a strong join.  Had I spotted this when building the chassis, I would have added some locating points.  I still can but it is putting the paintwork at risk now.

Still, I am quite happy with it to date and I have learned so much patience that will transfer onto other kits in the future, they simply cannot be rushed.

Magirus-Deutz-5.jpg

Magirus-Deutz-6.jpg

Magirus-Deutz-7.jpg

Magirus-Deutz-8.jpg

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
very nice progress on this one Graham,looking good, :D