Italeri (Trimaster, DML) FW 190 D-9 1/48

selrach

SMF Supporter
Dear Mates, Here is my interpretation of the D-9 “ <· ” of JG 6 in a somewhat pristine state a few weeks before final capitulation, 1945. This plane is featured in colour and BW images found in “The Focke-Wolf 190 Dora vol.1” by Jerry Crandall, which I think is a fine book. The painting was a combination of masking and freehand airbrush techniques. Some of the masks are shown. For colours, I chose the olive drab version of RLM 81, leaf green 82, grey 75 and a lighter grey (RLM ?) over RLM 76. Most all demarcation and mottling were done using masks with torn edges positioned ~1 mm away from the model surface. Extra diffusive effects were done by paddle-shaped masks with one or more small holes drilled with a No. 11 blade. The RLM 76 on the starboard side of the fuselage was shaded with what amounted to thinner stained with 81. The exhaust marks were done in a similar fashion, requiring 10 or more passes of blackened thinner for sufficient build up. No need to worry about mucking things up with a wobbly pass! Mini-sanders, (bits of sanding film glued to toothpicks) were useful for smoothing out tight spots. The wheels, seat harness and the engine visible through the wheel wells are from detail kits. The guns and pitot are steel tubes and stout they are! The spiral on the nose is, as they say ‘Dan Unda’, “a deckle”.

Eagle Cals provided the markings. For the first time, I sprayed a coat of gloss beforehand to mitigate silvering. It worked well by and large but I think it more convenient to somehow find paints that are gloss or satin to begin with and lay down smoothly the first time. Thinned out matte clear gave the final sheen.

Picture 002.jpg

Picture 008.jpg

Picture 011.jpg

Picture 012.jpg

Picture 020.jpg

Picture 027.jpg

Picture 029.jpg

Picture 052.jpg

Picture 054.jpg

Picture 059.jpg

Picture 071.jpg

Picture 080.jpg

Picture 084.jpg

Picture 035.jpg

Picture 050.jpg

Picture 079.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
she is a beauty for sure,great job on the camo, and plus we get tips on how too, ever better and they worked so well, :rolleyes:

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Superb job charles , the paint job is perfect. The paper mask technique is very useful for when you want precise control over the mottle , I once did it on a 1/144 Me 262 , it was the only way to achieve a feathered mottle in this scale . The colours and weathering are spot on , excellent work , cheers tony

First Name
Dave
That's a fine build.The paintwork is superb.I agree with you about using gloss paints where possible to avoid spraying a gloss clear coat.I use Xtracolour enamels on some builds as they dry to a gloss finish ready for decaling.They do a good range of RLM colours.

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Charles a very nice build with some interesting masking techniques which have worked very well.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
A great build, and thank you for sharing the mottle stencilling methods.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
\ said:
The spiral on the nose is, as they say ‘Dan Unda’, “a deckle”.
Not sure where dan unda comes into it, but yeah, how about that cricket season. ;)

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Your 190 looks very tidy. Nice paint work.

selrach

SMF Supporter
Thanks all for your kind comments. I would also be interested to read of any handy techniques you may use when you present your models. Anything to get a better result while reducing the tedium! Descriptions of your latest help me appreciate the work and problem solving that go into each project. Don't be afraid to brag a little. As you may gather I like to use masking techniques. I originally read about rough edge masking in a book some years back but have tried to extend it by using different sorts of paper, creation techniques, paddle shaped masks etc. Masking is commonly used but I thought I might add a few extra bits to the mix.