rtfoe, It's either MB or Tamiya or both 1/35 figures

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi, this is my first foray into a GB here and in keeping with the rules I'll be showing the box and sprues. Lately injected plastic figures are becoming interesting and better molded but still need some work to get to resin standards. I've only got these two boxes from MB and Tamiya to accompany my Takom MkIV Tank but for this GB I will concentrate on just a few from each box and try to finish them by the end of the GB.

1.jpg

For the first time the details for the molding on the Tamiya figures seem better than the picture on the front of their box art. I was surprised.

2.jpg3.jpg

Obviously the limitations of injection molding does soften detail but the sculpting and folds are quite good. Even the facial expressions are quite lifelike.

5.jpg8.jpg

I will be choosing the middle figure if time permits

13.jpg

My GB will start with a little vignette with the MB figures. I have seen some attempts by other modelers and it looks like a challenge to replicate what's on the boxart.

14.jpg15.jpg

The three figures will be the challenge as the fit and posture needs a lot of adjustment and tweeking to fit snuggly.

16.jpg

Since I'm ahead by 7 hours I will start assembly a day later so not break rules.

Cheers,
Richard

D

Deleted member 6559

Hi Richard

Really looking forward to following along. The Tamiya figures look particularly good - they've certainly upped their game in recent years. I tried the MB set myself once, but got nowhere - my incompetence, but I'm not as keen on the brand as I could be.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Peter, thanks for the support and appreciate your company. Both the figure sets have their merits. MB is definitely more challenging with fit and that is why I am tackiling it first with this threesome. Fitting one figure is usually the norm but MB has put three figures in a very tight pose and it's quite a feat. To get a snug fit one must not worry about the joints as that can be taken care of with filling.

You will see areas that I will need to carve and fill but I've got the arms to rest and hold properly...

17.jpg18.jpg19.jpg

He isn't exactly sitting on the palms but with filler it can be solved.

20.jpg

So that's my start...hope my mojo stays long enough to see this through. :smiling4:

Cheers,
Richard

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Well I will follow if I may Richard .
Your adaptations on figures is always worth watching .
John .

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Very nice Richard. This will be another thing of beauty. Wonderful imagination.

Steven

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
Well done Richard! - I had great troubles with this trio and came close to binning the lot but ended up converting the two carrying, and putting them in the combi - dio.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi John, Peter, Steve and Steven,

Aplogies for not replying earlier. Thanks for keeping company to this build. Lots of squeezing to get the togetherness. Have sinced puttyied but no pictures up until I have carved and sanded the excess.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks Brad,

Little progress last night with the putty sanding and sculpting done I proceeded to prime...

Firstly here you will see some additions like hair and what nots...

21.jpg

Primed with dark grey...will highlight areas with white.

22.jpg

That's it for now. This is happening in real time so expect some slow progress. :smiling4:

Cheers,
Richard

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Richard
That three figure group is very, very difficult to get to look right but I reckon you will do it. Already looking far better than some attempts I have seen.
Jim

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Late reply as usual from me...thanks Si and Jim. Have been watching a few WW1 movies to get mojo to carry on. There's one new one based on a play.

Cheers,
Richard

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Hello Richard,
I'm looking forward to seeing these develop in the next few weeks.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Colin, I have highlighted the 3 combi figures with white. This brought up the detail and folds. I am always impressed with what injection molded figures are like now. With a little clean up they can be quite nice painted up. I have also started on the accompanying British infantryman...

23.jpg 24.jpg

I will have to work on the finger details and the right figure forehead. All three have their own features and expressions not like figures in the past where whole platoons look family related with clone faces. :smiling2:

25.jpg

For the British infantry guy I hollowed out the sleeves and the base flaps of his coat.

26.jpg27.jpg

While fitting the equipment I couldn't add the amunition pouches under the bandolier so I left it off. The pouches should have been fitted before gluing the arms for those intending to build this figure. Once all is set I will connect the straps with putty. I scraped the helmet strap from the face which will be added later with lead strips.

28.jpg

Cheers,
Richard

Steve Jones

First Name
Steve
Great update Richard. Looks like all is going well and you are able to adapt to the challenges well. Keep it comin sir

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Great update Richard. Looks like all is going well and you are able to adapt to the challenges well. Keep it comin sir
Excuse me Richard.
Steve what are you doing on here in the middle of the afternoon, you should be at work, its for the retired old codgers. I hope youhasve a good valid reason.

Richard.
Nice work on the figures, I've just done some MiniArt tank maintenance crew and the fit of the arm especially was hard to do with out having a gap, either at the front or the back vertical seam.
John.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks Guys,

Steve, this time I should have looked at the instructions or picture reference before gluing the arms...experience doesn't mean it's a know it all everytime. :smiling4:
John, sometimes you'll get a perfect fit and other times filler will be needed but the poses are nice even if the fit is not Tamiya standards.

Cheers,
Richard

Reactions: JR

Steve Jones

First Name
Steve
JR - Matron let me out early for good behaviour. Have to be back in my padded cell by 9 tonite:thumb2:

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Richard.
The face detail on those Mini -Art figures in top class, as is the rest.The heads are particularly good as some have no hat, and the hair detail makes them..
Steve...:smiling::smiling::smiling:
John