recommend me a good starter airbrush kit please!

G

Ginger-Menace

hey all, i am wanting to venture in to airbrushing for my models, after getting back in to painting again, and painting the body of a viper MkII (battlestar galactica) by brush. im not happy with to results! figured an airbrush would help me here.

now ive never use one before, so im a bit lost as what to look for. or what kit to buy. i have acquired an DeVILBILL Aerograph super 63 airbrush but haven't used it as i have no other kit. is this suitable for models?

any and all help much appreciated

GM

Last edited:

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Hi Gm , the De Vilbiss is a good quality airbrush , all you need is a decent compressor , water trap and a hose.The comp is best if its got an air receiver tank as this gives a better air supply. The tankless comps tend to sometimes give a pulsing effect , which is not present with a tank as the stored air supply is at an even pressure.You should be able to pick up a comp for well under £100 , usually there will be an airbrush included too , always useful to have a couple! Plenty of people here have bought comps so there should be plenty of advice, check the 'airbrushes and compressors' section in the 'modelling' sub forum , cheers tony

G

Ginger-Menace

thanks tony, my problem is i have no idea about compressors or airbrushing! :smiling3: could you recommend any kits/brands i should look out for? would it be better for me to buy a can of compressed air and the appropriate adapters for the brush i already have a give it a go that way?

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Hi Ginger, I have taken the liberty of changing the Title of this thread. Maybe a few more will react now.

My advice is a bit expensive I'm afraid. Cheap compressors are handy 'cause they are cheap. They are cheap, NORMALLY because they are built buy the cheapest contractor, of the cheapest materials.

You can see where this is going right?

Having said that you can find some very good moderatly priced compressors. Many of the members have gone the cheapest rute and regreted it rather promptly half way through a paint job when it stops working.

I am one of them. after the first two burned out, I happened across a rather good offer at work. The compressor in the shop started smoking like mad and in panic it was un plugged and put out side to be thrown away. I got permish to take it home and had it serviced. Cost of service £5 for a couple of beers. (it was an O ring that had popped and the oil had run down into the broken cover on the electrics, loads of smoke but no danger....). sorry waffeling. The short version is I got a proff compressor with a 24 liter tank with refrigerator compressor. So its almost silent in use.

Ian M

D

dubster72

This is the equivalent kit I bought ( although from a different company )

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

3 years on it's still working fine, but I'd go for one with a tank were I buying it now. It's not silent, it makes a chugging noise in use, but I wouldn't call it loud by any means.

Cheers

Patrick

D

delmonteman

\ said:
This is the equivalent kit I bought ( although from a different company )eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

3 years on it's still working fine, but I'd go for one with a tank were I buying it now. It's not silent, it makes a chugging noise in use, but I wouldn't call it loud by any means.

Cheers

Patrick
I've got this one too. 2yrs & no problems.

G

Ginger-Menace

thank you everyone! i will take a look at the link!

G

Ginger-Menace

after looking at the link and taking in the suggestion of a tank comp, what do you think to this one?

Mini Airbrush Compressor With Tank AS186 Kit 1 | eBay

D

dubster72

That's basically the same as mine but with a tank & it's well worth it for the money. I'd buy it!

Cheers

Patrick

G

Ginger-Menace

took the plunge and bought the one i linked to looking forward to it coming!

D

dubster72

Good luck with it! Don't forget to get some airbrush cleaner, decent masks & maybe some reamers - John sells them in the Scale Model Shop. Keeping the airbrush clean is the most important thing to getting good results.

Also, try using a fan on the compressor, it helps keep it cool & reduce moisture build-up.

Cheers

Patrick