Jambo's Tamiya Lotus Type 78 1:20

When I saw this GB coming up I decided to have a scout about and settled on this Tamiya kit, the Lotus 78. This is the later edition of the kit which includes some PE parts which I've not used before. While I'm sure there will be some challenges I'm hoping the kit will go together fairly easily, and at least as it's all black the masking shouldn't be a big challenge!

Lotus_1_box.jpg

With the box open, there's plenty of parts to keep me going:

parts_1024.jpg

However as I got looking through it I found that getting reference pictures was not that easy, cars change from race to race, these were used across part of the 1977 & 1978 season, and some cars were repainted later on. I decided a little reference material would be helpful to try and make sure I knew what changes had been made and help decide what version of the car to build:

book.jpg

I'll have a look at the kit and then decide what I want to do with the build, but I'm currently steering towards a 1977 car, as the 78 had some changes not included with the kit such as a front roll bar. There are good reference pictures in the book, but I suspect I'm over thinking this and probably I should just crack on and make a start! I get very little free time so completing this is going to require a bit of discipline on my part.

Jambo

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
I keep saying I'm not a car builder in any guise , but just looked at this and this looks very nice and with Tamiya there should be no major hiccups and I'm now thinking I may even join this GB at some stage.

I'll,tag on and watch the progress and try and get some tips

I like the ref book you have too.

Regards

Robert

P

Polux

I will be looking forward to seeing this one...is a really interesting model.

Thanks for joi in ;)

D

dubster72

Looking forward to seeing this come together Jambo.

No front ARB must have made for seriously interesting steering in the corners ;)