Joe's 1/72 Fujimi Sea Harrier FRS.1

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
My entry into the FAA build will be the old Fujimi 1/72 Sea Harrier FRS.1. I got this one cheap a few years ago. Looks to be a pretty good kit for its age (1983), a bit of flash but very finely engraved lines and very similar to the Italeri GR.3, which is itself formerly an Esci kit.

The box:

View attachment 82028

The kit:

View attachment 82029

Decals:

View attachment 82030

IMG_2255.JPG

IMG_2259.JPG

IMG_2263.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
I quite like the look of the 801 scheme so I think I will go with that version. All pre-Falklands of course as you can see.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Cockpit started. No decals on this old kit, so painted the side console details and used the old-style instruction manual instrument panel cut out for the main panel. Ejection seat straps and handle scratch built from tape and fuse wire respectively.

View attachment 82264

View attachment 82265

This is no modern kit despite the fine engraved surfaces. So far the fit has been average and have had to deal with a bit of flash. All fun stuff though. As an aside, I read that the kit designer moved from Fujimi to ESCI and that is why there are similarities in the construction processes of the two kits.

View attachment 82263

IMG_2369.JPG

IMG_2370.JPG

IMG_2371.JPG

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
This kit may have a resemblance to the ESCI kit in format, but that is where the similarities end. Nearly everything has required filling and sanding, parts have been aligned only to find that one section is larger than the other, and there are asymmetry issues with the intakes and canopy areas. I am battling through the issues, but can only manage an hour or two at the most each time before I get frustrated. The instructions are rubbish really, and the model has parts missing (as in not even included in the kit) which are presented on the paint guides and box. I've been referring to the Italeri GR.3 instructions for guidance as luckily they are similar in construction; I have scratch built some aerials and the top beacon and re-scribed some lost panel lines. I think it's nearly at the stage where if I sand more I will end up with holes in it, so it's off to the priming stage soon. I'll add some photos later, there really hasn't been much of interest to post so far unless you want to see the issues. First Fujimi kit I've built, and probably the last to be honest. Hasegawa's Sea Harrier cops a lot of flak but this one has to be close for it's problems.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
It's been a while since I updated this Sea Harrier build, but I have not been idle with it, despite it fighting me every step of the way. I have to do a little at a time or it has a habit of beating my motivation down.

I had filled and sanded the airframe within a millimetre of its life, any more and I would have seen daylight through it. Managed to save some of the lost lines and re-scribed the ones I lost. As I mentioned earlier I have had to scratch build some aerials and a top beacon.

The nose section did not mate properly and the nose landing gear had no walls or detail. I scratch built some walls with plastic card and forced them against the sides with CA glue:

View attachment 83874

You can see some of the fit issues with the airframe here. Also I opened up the top engine vents:

View attachment 83875

A lot of filler and sanding and time and we have a much better result, with canopy fitted. More sanding followed this:

View attachment 83876

At last it was primed and ready for the next steps:

View attachment 83877

Humbrol gloss white sprayed nicely and evenly on the underside. The new batches of Humbrol are a great improvement:

View attachment 83878

Next was the upper surface colour of Extra Dark Sea Grey, again Humbrol sprayed nice and evenly:

View attachment 83879

Seepage from the EDSG was cleaned up and the nose cone, various aerials and sensors painted. Wing stores and pylons and the landing gear are done as well and ready for later:

View attachment 83880

Decals have been applied but there were various issues with the roundels and top decals. They were after all around 31 years old having been produced in 1983. A little out of register on the top but cleaned up with some careful masking and a steady hand:

View attachment 83881

View attachment 83882

More to come soon, but should be completed in the next day or two if things go my way with the final varnishes. I will be using Humbrol Matt Cote (in the 28ml bottle) via the airbrush to tone the gloss down.

IMG_2403.JPG

IMG_2412.JPG

IMG_2417.JPG

IMG_2426.JPG

IMG_2432.JPG

IMG_2444.JPG

IMG_2458.JPG

IMG_2482.JPG

IMG_2483.JPG

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Today I managed to complete the Sea Harrier. I used Humbrol Matt Cote for the first time through the airbrush and it was flawless, using a 50/50 mix of the product with enamel thinners. One coat reduced the gloss to a nice sheen resembling a slightly dull satin coat. Exhaust blast plates, vectoring nozzles, wing stores and landing gear attached. Considering the trials and tribulations with this build the result is okay. Will post in the completed section shortly. Thanks for following this build.

View attachment 83949

IMG_2493.JPG

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Completed build thread here http://www.scale-models.co.uk/community/threads/joes-fujimi-1-72-sea-harrier-fleet-air-arm-sig.27608/