Joe's SIG Airfix F-4 Phantom

First Name
Dave
Great fix on the windows Joe.When I worked on Phantoms in the RAF ,a periscope modification was brought out.We had to remove the left side window and fit an aluminium panel with a periscope attached .Cant remember what it was for.Just so the chap in the back could see forwards I suppose.Great progress with your build.Looking forward to seeing the paint go on.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
going along at a fair pace her Joe. What are you going to do for the next six months!!! LOL.

Great fix on the window.

Ian M

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Thanks guys. Interesting that you brought up the periscope on some British Phantoms Dave. I had read a little about them a while back. Basically I found they were fitted to give the guy in the back a means of estimating the distance of an intercepted aircraft as well as for positive type identification. I can't imagine how difficult it must be to use such a device when pulling G.

Ian, I have a bit of a way to go yet. I have more than enough to be getting on with from the stash. Or I could buy another Phantom. ;)

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
My Phantom is now primed and sanded to eliminate some little defects I hadn't noticed with the white plastic. Much nicer to look at now! Note to all model companies, never use white plastic please. In addition the Sparrow missiles, bombs and landing gear are all finished and ready for the final construction stage after the airframe and fuel tanks are painted. Now waiting for some more thinners and some fresh white paint to arrive before I can progress.

View attachment 59657View attachment 59658View attachment 59659

View attachment 61423

View attachment 61424

View attachment 61425

IMG_1529.jpg

IMG_1530.jpg

IMG_1531.jpg

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Update, no photos today sorry. I have now put down a coat of US Navy white on the underside and fuel tanks. The underside is being masked today and the top gull grey coat will go down in the next few days. It's getting to the stage where I can't wait to see the back of this kit.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
\ said:
My Phantom is now primed and sanded to eliminate some little defects I hadn't noticed with the white plastic. Much nicer to look at now! Note to all model companies, never use white plastic please. In addition the Sparrow missiles, bombs and landing gear are all finished and ready for the final construction stage after the airframe and fuel tanks are painted. Now waiting for some more thinners and some fresh white paint to arrive before I can progress.View attachment 59657View attachment 59658View attachment 59659
Nice to see the build in primer, it brings it all together. I built a F104 (tiger scheme) which was moulded in yellow. Talk about bright !

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Hehe, yellow would be too much I think. I just really hate white moulds, they are terrible to work with. Still yet to put down a Gull Grey top layer...

geegad

Can't cheat fate..
First Name
John
looking good so far buddy

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
SO where is this old beast of an Airfix kit at now? It remains on my desk with the upper surfaces still in primer, with the undersides resplendent in US Navy white and all landing gear and weapons are ready to be mounted. All I really need to do is get the Gull Grey on the top surfaces, and detail the rear end for the burnt exhaust area. Then the rest is plain sailing.

My biggest excuse for not having this near completion has been time. I did manage to complete my helicopter GB contribution, but lately I have been working some long hours away from home in the night. I prefer not to build when I am tired. Ironically I had the last few days free, but yesterday we had the coldest snap of weather with snow and thunder storms for a long time, and it was not wise to paint in such conditions. Back to work for the next three nights, and the forecast is for finer weather. Typical!

Hoping to have more progress for you all soon. I see we have until 31st August for this SIG build, for some reason I thought it was June.

First Name
Dave
Look forward to seeing your finished Phantom Joe.The Phantom Sig has gone very quiet lately.Mine is progressing nicely.i only get around an hour a few nights a week to model.Thats my excuse for it taking so long!.

1275GT

Don't worry about it Joe, you're still ahead of me !!! I'll race you to see who can get closest to the deadline.....

Looks good so far :smiling3:

Cheers, Neil

A

AJay

Looking good so far, Joe! Look forward to seeing the completed model :smiling3:

T

treyzx10r

Looks tidy in the primer Joe,looking forward to seeing the paint go on!

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Work has got in the way yet again, but I have cleaned the Phantom up and re-masked it ready for the final grey paint coat. Only a month left! I will get there!

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
\ said:
Work has got in the way yet again, but I have cleaned the Phantom up and re-masked it ready for the final grey paint coat. Only a month left! I will get there!
I have every faith in you Joe, and like Dave looking forward to the finished article