Joe's SIG Airfix F-4 Phantom

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
I wanted to paint today but again it's freezing and I have been called out to work to cover another pilot tonight who has called in sick. So delayed yet again, but the Phantom is not forgotten. To add to the lack of modelling time I've also been dragged out almost every spare day I have to look at houses and have been busy with building reports, real estate agents, banks, lawyers etc. The joys of buying a house are over-rated. The modelling has taken a back seat, but hopefully at least I can find a new house that SWMBO also likes and we can get on with things soon. All going well at an upcoming auction we could be moving early September and I have taken two large chunks of leave, so we will probably be moving in, painting walls, finishing a Phantom, building fences, a driveway and installing a cat flap.

First Name
Dave
Moving house is a real pain.When I moved last year it was 8 months before I found the time to start model making again.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
This is now standing on it's own feet waiting for gloss varnish and decals. Dave was supposed to be decorating and sneaked in some Lightning and Defiant time, so I thought why not.

View attachment 78609

View attachment 78610

Better go put some saw dust and paint in my hair now to make it look like I have been industrious on the house.

2014-02-26 16.54.40.jpg

2014-02-26 16.54.48.jpg

First Name
Dave
Looking good Joe.I was wondering what had happened to this one.As for the DIY,what I do is wait for the wife to go to work.Then I do about an hours modelling before carrying on painting the house.Im currently off work waiting for an operation on my right elbow.So Ive plenty of time for doing both.And the elbows ok for modelling.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Looking really nice.

DIY, yes ma'am did indicate she would like all new fencing around the garden. Luckily I've found a man whose really good at that sort of thing !

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Thanks for the comments guys. I felt a bit bad for not finishing the SIG on time, but looking at the completed builds I see I was not alone in that department. Anyway, she's all varnished up and decals going on later today.

First Name
Aaron
Nice work Joe...decals are one of my favorite steps...do you have an interest in 1/32 vintage aircraft?

edit...vintage kits that is

Last edited by a moderator:
Z

Ziper_it

So Joe, you have a WIP and I was not aware of it.

Excellent work til now, waiting for the next steps.

Francesco

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Joe

I like the Phantom progress. The build looks nice and clean and you've made a great job of those side windows. It will be nice to see this aircraft finished and it doesn't seem to be far off completion. Time is relative though, if your busy (and it sounds like you are - house move etc) completion may seem quite distant.

I've missed my fair share of GB deadlines (one by just under 2 years!) so I know what it's like but I know you'll get round to finishing it at some point.

Looking forward to seeing the decals on this

All the best

Paul

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Decals were fragile and a few breakages resulted but painted them in. Also dealt to that pesky decal that had VF-91 incorrectly printed on it. The decals are sealed with gloss, won't be doing much more to the finish other than a satin spray. Bombs and external fuel tanks to be fitted and some nav lights to be painted on.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
\ said:
Nice work Joe...decals are one of my favorite steps...do you have an interest in 1/32 vintage aircraft?edit...vintage kits that is
Yeah mate, I enjoy the decal stage too. In this case it brought the otherwise bland paint work to life. As for 1/32 vintage kits, I've not tried to build any so unsure :smiling3: I do have some vintage 1/72 kits though for the future.

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Lovely work Joe, it looks superb, great painting.

Si:smiling3:

First Name
Aaron
Spin me an addy Joe and ill send you a 1/32 kit or two that ill never get around to building, also i dont have the display room as they are rather big built.

0ne48thtel

\ said:
Thanks Neil. Unsure how to get the PVA to conform over the gap. Any ideas in case my clear plastic experiment goes horribly wrong??
joe you could put a thin layer on plastic or something like. Then while it is still plyable remove it. That should give you a film of pva that you can cut to shape