Ju 88 camoflauge

A

Awins

I would like to create the below 'swiggle type' camo pattern but have no idea how to reproduce this.
Any thoughts or ideas please. I do have an airbrush with a fine needle.
Cheers guys Alan 20171008_164226.jpg

dave

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
The obvious approach would be freehand, maybe using a brush to add a faint line in the same colour as a guide.

The other approach might be to paint the whole aircraft I the squiggle colour, then use blutack or the like to lay out the squiggles and finally apply the background colour. Problem with this is you have two layers of paint and you are applying the lighter over the darker.

On balance I think I would go freehand.

Actually I would probably be a coward and find a splinter camouflage instead

Last edited:
D

Doug Hughes

I've just been agonising over something similar with the Airfix B5N2 'Kate', using acrylics. I've tried loads of things - different paint mixes, retarders, airbrush pressures for freehand airbrushing, various types of masking raised above the surface to get the soft edge, brush painting on top of a wet surface, etc., etc. I eventually cracked it (I think) by going for freehand airbrushing with very, very thin paint - more like thinners with a touch of paint - pressure around 10psi, and the airbrush backstop screwed down so it only allows a tiny amount of paint through. This seems to avoid spattering and pooling, and allows me to build up the colour gradually. I also remove the crown from the airbrush to get close enough. I know some folks on here can get very fine lines without doing all this, but this seems to work for me. It looks OK on a plastic bottle, anyway - I've not done the real thing yet. I'll be practising a lot before a commit to that!

J

John Rixon

It'll be worth it though, that's going to look awesome!