Kitty Hawk JAS-39a/c Gripen 1/48

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
\ said:
Looking good Leo, what's your primer of choice?
That's a good question Phil.... I would like to know a good primer for my GB build ( got the Val negro primer and also some cheap poundie primer ( grey ) rattle can but worried of overspray especially on fine detail ( I've never decanted either

The Gripen is looking great Leo and that primer has sat down well.

P

phikoleoputra

\ said:
Looking good Leo, what's your primer of choice?
Hey Phil,

I used the Mr. Surfacer 500, it's lacquer based. They have 3 kinds, the 500, 1200, and 1500 grit.

PhilJ

SMF Supporter
First Name
Phil
\ said:
That's a good question Phil.... I would like to know a good primer for my GB build ( got the Val negro primer and also some cheap poundie primer ( grey ) rattle can but worried of overspray especially on fine detail ( I've never decanted either
The Gripen is looking great Leo and that primer has sat down well.
\ said:
Hey Phil,
I used the Mr. Surfacer 500, it's lacquer based. They have 3 kinds, the 500, 1200, and 1500 grit.
Thanks for that Leo, just sprayed with mr hobby aqueous last night for the first time and it went down lovely, not fimiliar with their mr surfacer primer so I'll look into that.

Robert I certainly wasn't trying to open up the "what primer" can of worms again

I'm still plodding on with Vallejo at the moment and find it works well for me, but would on occasion wish I had something that drys quicker, Leo what's the drying time like and does it sand?

P

phikoleoputra

\ said:
Thanks for that Leo, just sprayed with mr hobby aqueous last night for the first time and it went down lovely, not fimiliar with their mr surfacer primer so I'll look into that.
Robert I certainly wasn't trying to open up the "what primer" can of worms again

I'm still plodding on with Vallejo at the moment and find it works well for me, but would on occasion wish I had something that drys quicker, Leo what's the drying time like and does it sand?
Drying time is quite fast and I'm using the Mr. Hobby thinner. But for sure I leave it overnight then deal with it again. I usually wetsand the primed subject with 2000-3500 grit sandpaper. Hope that helps Phil

PhilJ

SMF Supporter
First Name
Phil
\ said:
Drying time is quite fast and I'm using the Mr. Hobby thinner. But for sure I leave it overnight then deal with it again. I usually wetsand the primed subject with 2000-3500 grit sandpaper. Hope that helps Phil
Yeah thanks for that I guess you can use their levelling thinner as its laquer based

Cheers

Phil

P

phikoleoputra

Hello, another weekly updates from the workbench :smiling3:

After priming last week, I wet sanded the whole thing then I tried new method ny black painted the whole thing then painted the base color, airbrushed it without masking tape. Not really convinced with the result. Tell me what you think please.

Next is wheels and missiles. Until the next updates

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
It's got a soft demarcation, if that's the effect that you are after then result achieved.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
The colour demarcation is perfect Leo , I hope I can do as well when I get to mine on the J10! cheers tony

P

phikoleoputra

\ said:
The colour demarcation is perfect Leo , I hope I can do as well when I get to mine on the J10! cheers tony
Thanks Tony, I bet you'll do the J10 justice and comes out great.

geegad

Can't cheat fate..
First Name
John
great looking aircraft and your doing it complete justice great job so far

P

phikoleoputra

Don't get much modelling time this weekend. What I've done this week only gloss coat for decals and missiles painted.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
This is coming along very nicely ( I'm thinking now my chengdu J10 ) is a direct copy of the Grippen.

Love that paintwork and missiles coming up a treat too

Regards

Robert

P

phikoleoputra

Thanks lads for the comments, still a long way to go landing gears, weathering and decalling. Wish me luck!!! lol