Kursk. II S.S. Panzer corps slowly claw their way toward Obayan

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
I haven't posted in a while so I thought I'd show the limited progress I've made since then.

I haven't done any more work on the tank or dio but, with what little time I have had between work and other commitments, I've managed to get this far with the remaining German figures.

2 are primed and ready for painting, the other 3 require straps and equipment although all the putty work is complete. It may be a struggle for me to finish this GB on time, in which case, can I still post it here or do I move it to the diorama section?

Cheers

Paul

View attachment 19131

View attachment 26577

Figure_progress.jpg

R

rogue-one

all of these figure are looking great quality. your real handy with that clay, putty. what did you say the putty you use is called again?

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Bobby

The putty is Milliput super fine, a 2 part epoxy. It takes a bit of getting used to the material, you'll probably find that most of it simply sticks to your fingers at first but practice does make it easier. I think it's a little easier each time I do this, as I kind of know what to expect and the tools to use now. I'm not saying I'm a great figure sculpter by any means but I've got the results I was looking for. I think if I had more time I'd really go to town on the figures, super detail them and paint with oils to get the blending right. I really admire the work of Calvin Tan - his 1/35 figures are unbelievable. Still it's something to aim for I guess.

Cheers

P

C

Caledonia

I hate clever, talented, artistic people like you - pure genius Paul, its going to look spectacular, love that tunics. Cheers Derek

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Derek, thank you for the comments. There's some amazing stuff going on in this GB I just hope my effort stands up the excellent work already finished.

I'm hoping to finish these 5 figures next week and then I can spend October blowing up a T-34! I've enjoyed doing the figures but it will be nice to work on the hardware for a bit of a change.

After that I'm going to look at finishing quite a few aircraft I've started (including the Eurofighter - so I'll be in touch) and the luftwaffe forest dio.

Cheers

Paul

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Finally finished the remaining German figures last night, which completes the 9 for the diorama. It seems incredible to me now that there are only 9 - feels like 50! Anyhoo, rather than just shoot them on their own I thought I'd place them on the dio to see how they look. Here's a few pics

View attachment 19514View attachment 19515View attachment 19516View attachment 19517View attachment 19518View attachment 19519View attachment 19520

I've enjoyed the figures but I'm glad I can now get on with the T-34, I'm looking forward to trying some new techniques and modelling my first knocked out tank. After that the base will need some further attention with things such as barbed wire, the cloth cover for the trench door, more ground scatter to be added and generally tying things together.

There's been some absolutely unbelievable stuff come out of this GB I just hope my efforts hold up to high standards.

All the best

Paul

View attachment 26847

View attachment 26848

View attachment 26849

View attachment 26850

View attachment 26851

View attachment 26852

View attachment 26853

Finished_Figures07lo.jpg

Finished_Figures04lo.jpg

Finished_Figures05lo.jpg

Finished_Figures02lo.jpg

Finished_Figures03lo.jpg

Finished_Figures01lo.jpg

Finished_Figures06lo.jpg

R

rogue-one

looking real good paul, i really like the guy at the front with his hands at his face and the guy jumping the trench. the grass turned out great too. keep the fliks coming.

F

Fenlander

wow, this is looking superb Paul, those figures are stunning with the camo pattern on them. I to like the one leaping over the trench, this is going to be amazing when finished. Yep only five weeks to go and I have not started a single one of my 16 figures or the groundwork. May have to leave the country until the ridicule dies down ......

N

noble

This is quality work so far mate the dio is lookin good and the figures are out of this world looooooove it.

scott

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Thanks Scott. You know I think I won't bother priming the fake (fur) grass next time cos I think it's looking a bit thick, maybe I just sprayed too much primer. Oh well, I'll know for next time. Your grass on the other hand looks quality.

Graham, man you've got some work to do! but you seem to have had a 1001 projects on the go at the same time - you're bonkers, just like me! I do hope you get to finish your dio though because: A. I know it will be good, and B. I'm really looking forward to seeing you're triumphant Ruskies roll past in the scene you've described.

All the best, Paul

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Finally got round to working on the T-34. Not a great deal of progress but I did manage to get the base layers down for my burnt out engine. The engine parts were airbrushed in various acrylics and then varying pigments applied. Pin washes and localised chipped paint still need to be added but it gives a general picture of what the engine compartment will look like. Obviously none of the engine parts are yet glued into position they are just placed to give effect.

I also cut one fender off the upper hull (the other fender will follow suit soon) so that I could experiment fabricating a replacement from metal foil (the tomato puree tube mentioned earlier in the thread). Another amend I had to make was to the wheels without tyres. The AFV wheels have a notch them to locate the tyres this needed to be filled with plastic strip and then sanded flat.

Sorry there's not much more to show but I'm giving the project all the time I can! I hope to get all the interior to the hull finished this week and the hull buttoned up and hopefully if I can maintain this momentum I'll be able to finish the GB in time.

Hope you like it so far

PaulView attachment 19873View attachment 19874View attachment 19875View attachment 19876View attachment 19872

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Really feel like there's absolutely no interest in this GB now!

:dontknow:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Paul my dear chap, don't be so down, I have and am still following your build.

Personally, I find that being off the computer for even a few days makes me loose track of the various projects. Nowadays I can't remember what I did this morning! lol

Because I'm not posting doesn't mean I'm not showing an interest and I think there are others on the forum who do the same with your's and other projects.. just quietly watch and admire the work in progress.

I only had a few comments about my finished JCB. Some folks get even less. It's the luck of the draw, so don't be disheartened.

The main thing is to get pleasure and enjoyment from our modelling, getting nice comments and encouragement is a very nice bonus, especially when things are not quite going as they should.

So don't worry Paul, you are not alone. We are watching!

Cheers,

Ron

For some reason I'm unable to access your latest pictures...

S

sprayman

My eyes are following, I love modifying figures, and this has got my attention, Your work is of definate interest and high quality. I also cant see the pics......

F

Fenlander

Sorry paul. I always use the new posts button but I have not seen any of your later posts until Ray posted and it came up. I find this happens quite a bit and I miss loads of stuff. Catch up eventually, but I must try harder and check deeper. However, like Ron, I cannot view your latest pictures for some reason. As I am building a similar kit very soon, I am more than interested in what you do.

S

sprayman

I have started to use the "post last 24 hrs", its helped me stop missing things.

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Morning All

Here's the pics again - fingers crossed this time they can be seen.

View attachment 19944View attachment 19945View attachment 19946View attachment 19947View attachment 19948

Ron - I'm not fishing for compliments my scale modelling is what it is, but I do enjoy the banter, and it's just felt like I was walking round the 'Cross of Iron' GB chat room on mi lonesome! After a week or so with no response you do get to a point of, 'why am I posting this?', perhaps I should just post the thing finished.

This build, I have to admit, has become be quite a bit of a chore now, I've very little enthusiasm for it and I'm now just finishing it through sheer bloody mindedness. I'll continue with the T-34 and this dio will get finished but it may be a week or 2 after the deadline.

Anyhoo, I'm not down about it - it is just model after all!!!

Thanks for the responses everyone - I'll try to finish this and, if it's to total silence, I'll know at least you're out there!

Cheers

Paul

View attachment 27209

View attachment 27210

View attachment 27211

View attachment 27212

View attachment 27213

Burned_Engine01.jpg

Burned_Engine05.jpg

Burned_Engine02.jpg

Burned_Engine04.jpg

Burned_Engine03.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Can you see them now? I can see them on my computer?!!