Kursk. II S.S. Panzer corps slowly claw their way toward Obayan

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hey Ron!

Thanks for that - I did give it some thought. I'm going to attempt creating a better friction fit with slight mods to the upper hull, in this way I'll be able to remove the upper hull to display it.

Michael Wittman's tiger final '007' is good illustration of a brewed up tank though. I'll see how it goes, if the fit issue can't be resolved I may have another look at this way forward.

As far as the time scales are concerned I'm keen to get it finished, it just might be slightly later than the end of the month (no more than a couple of weeks though). It's funny, at the start of this build i did say I'd be using all the available time, and it seems I might be using a bit more!

Great to hear from you Ron and to see yer crazy specs!

All the best

Paul

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi everyone

Had a big build weekend this week and have got to a stage where the T-34 is primed ready for paint.

This build stage included:

1. Making the PE cover with the mesh screen that required soldering for a strong joint.

2. Making and detailing the scratch build fenders (plastic card strengthening strips and bolt heads made with the help of a punch and die)

3. Making a ruptured fuel tank (converting the original parts with some lead sheet.

4. Improving the friction fit of the upper hull to the lower half. This was done by extending the location rods with plastic tube (drilled and secured) and then carefully drilling out the holes to exept these rods (a lot of test fitting went on here!) The result is a fit I'm satisfied will not require glue and can therefore allow me to show the interior at a later stage.

I haven't taken any pics of the primed pieces yet I'll leave that for the next installment when I get on to the paint work.

Oh yeah, I've also added a cast texture to the hull and turret using Mr Surfacer 500 stippled on with an old brush. This is necessary as the transparent parts (by their nature) have to be completely smooth and lacking in texture so you can see through them!

Hope you like it so far

Paul

View attachment 20506View attachment 20507View attachment 20509View attachment 20508View attachment 20505View attachment 20504

View attachment 27584

View attachment 27585

View attachment 27586

View attachment 27587

View attachment 27588

View attachment 27589

Fit problem solved.jpg

Ruptured Fuel Tank.jpg

Screen in place.jpg

PE Screen and Hinges.jpg

Bolt heads01.jpg

Fenders01.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
F

Fenlander

Looking stunning Paul, cannot get over that engine and transmission. The damaged (properly spoilt) fuel tank is terrific as is the brass engine cover. Stunning work going into this.

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi everyone

I've got quite a ways on with the paintwork on the T-34 and thought I'd post some progress. This isn't finished yet but you can at least see the direction in which it's going. I would have liked to photograph the steps and talk through it but, to be honest, I've just been trying my damnedest to finish on time! If anyone is interested once this build is finished to know how this was achieved I'd be only to happy to outline the steps. I've still to do some work on the green to add some variation in tone and fading and there's still a lot of weathering to be done, not to mention the tracks.

If the wheels look to be in funny positions this will all make sense when on the base.

Hope you like it, all comments suggestions welcome.

Cheers

Paul

View attachment 20692View attachment 20693View attachment 20694View attachment 20695View attachment 20696View attachment 20697View attachment 20698

ps. all being well I hope to finish the T-34 tomorrow but I think there's at least another couple of weeks before I could call the dio finished. I tried my best but I'm afraid time has beaten me! It will get finished though...

View attachment 27756

View attachment 27757

View attachment 27758

View attachment 27759

View attachment 27760

View attachment 27761

View attachment 27762

T34 Paint07.jpg

T34 Paint05.jpg

T34 Paint02.jpg

T34 Paint03.jpg

T34 Paint01.jpg

T34 Paint04.jpg

T34 Paint06.jpg

S

Sky Raider

Wow Paul, that is some stunning work, well done keep it up.

Andy

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
The Last Post (cue bugle!)

It's the end of November, the Summer GB finishes (officially) tonight and so this will be the last entry in this thread.

The dio isn't quite finished yet but it's tantalisingly close, I'm therefore going to draw this thread to an end and post the finished dio in 'Completed' when it's done (roughly 2 weeks I think).

Anyway, this is the T-34 as it stands at the moment.

I've finished the tracks, put on the decals, added some details (like bullet holes from small arms fire in the front fender and smashed glass in the head light)

I feel there's still quite a bit to do on the tank - more pin washes and fading, dust pigments and a little dried mud and oil straks but it's nearly there.

Here's a few pics of the tank on it's own and one preview in the dio.

Cheers

Paul

View attachment 20732View attachment 20733View attachment 20734View attachment 20735View attachment 20736

View attachment 27772

View attachment 27773

View attachment 27774

View attachment 27775

View attachment 27776

T34 Paint012.jpg

T34 Paint08.jpg

T34 Paint011.jpg

T34 Paint09.jpg

T34 Paint010.jpg

R

Richy C

Great work Paul , the T-34 looks fantastic mate - love the damage and the engine compartment , as you say its not going to get done by the end off the GB but don`t worry about that , this is a dio that has to be shown no matter how long it takes , I`ve not been about lately and have alot of catching up to do but will be watching this one closely now

Richy

F

Fenlander

Have to admit I am finding it difficult to comment on this T34. The ingenuity you have used to get that 'been on fire' look is just so stunning. I don't think I have ever seen something like this done better. I don't care as to when it gets finished, a work of art like this can have all the time it wants. You have to submit this to a magazine and show it at any model show you care to, it will be up there with the best anywhere. I just bow to your modelling skills on this one Paul. A real winner.

:respect1:

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Thanks guys. Got to say I'm a bit overwhelmed! Thank you for the kind comments.

I just feel that this thread has gone on long enough, besides which there's not a lot to add:-

A cover to the trench door

Personal items and small arms in the trench

Barbed wire

...and that's about it...

All this can be explained in the 'Complete' post.

Again, thank you very much for the comments, this dio will be finished I promise.

Paul

R

Richy C

Paul - with a great build / dio like what your doing a thread like this is never to long just carry on in your own time and keep us updated as and when mate , I can only speak for myself but I love little updates here and there leading up to the finnish

Richy

R

rogue-one

fantastic paul!! that tank turned out so great! the paint work on the shell is perfect. it really does look like its from a picture of a real burnt out old tank. rust work is so well done. i love the wee pic of it on the dio. teasing us with a peek at what it's all going to look like. take your time. finish it when you want too but don't take to long, lol, i'm dying to see it all done, lol.

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Thanks Ron, Bobby.

I've done a little bit to the dio - some barb wire and the like but I've come down with conjunctivitis which is not helping me with the finer details!

Not too far from finish now

Paul