Leaving modelling

F

Fenlander

Hi guys

Earlier in the year I posted that I was closing down the bench over the summer but that I would be back for the winter.

Over the last few months I have give setting up the bench again a lot of serious thought. I have decided that I will not be setting it up again and that I am retiring from modelling to concentrate my free time into my photography and video work.

I would like to say that in the time I have been on this forum I have met in the virtual world some really nice people and great modellers. I also cannot forget meeting up with Dave (Gern) a few years back at a couple of shows which was a great pleasure.

This forum should be proud of doing something rare in modelling forums and that is to have always provided a safe, welcoming and supportive place for modellers of all ages, sexes, backgrounds and abilities. Long may this continue as it is a rare thing in the modelling world. All credit to John for providing this space and all credit to the members for maintaining the quality of content.

A huge thank you for all the support and encouragement you have given me and the fantastic pool of collective knowledge you have shared.

It has been a real pleasure and I wish you all well.

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
That’s a real shame Graham, I was just thinking the other day it should be time for you to get back to it anytime soon, but I respect your decision and I for one am going to miss your builds and reviews, your account will always be here should you change your mind in the future, just log in

P

Polux

Oh! Maybe isn’t correct if I talk for all the members, but I’m sure the forum will miss you...
Good luck on your photography project ;)
As John said, the doors will be open for ever if you decided to return.

Best wishes!

M

m1ks

I had returned to this forum a short while ago after a long gap and wondered where you'd been hiding.
It's a shame to see you go but best of luck with your other hobbies especially so the photography which is another of mine that I don't do enough of.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Sorry to see you go Graham. Good luck with your next hobby, I'm sure you'll do the photography world proud. But do remember, we have a chat thread for all subjects........just saying......

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Sorry Graham , we cant just let you go , its like the Mafia , you cant just leave!!! Seriously though its a great shame you wont be modelling anymore, BUT that doesnt mean you cant look in on us now and again , as John says your account will still be open. Colin also makes a good point - theres a photography section here , you could always give us the benefit of your knowledge to help with taking pics of our completed models? Whatever you do I wish you all the best ,but lets not say goodbye , lets say Hasta la vista - till i see you again, cheers tony

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Graham, I too will miss your builds. Good luck with the photography but don’t dispose of the modelling materials you never know, that bug might get a grip again!!!

D

Deleted member 3568

I for one have enjoyed your input and help. You will be missed, never say never though, the model bug may well bite again and WHEN it does we will still be here and as John said your account will still be here.
I look forward to seeing you then.

A

Awins

Sorry that your leaving us Graham. I have posted several questions to which you always gave a true and accurate answer.
Hope you get fulfilment from your photography.
I came back to model making after 30 years absence. The beauty of it is that you can always pickup where you left off.
Cheers Graham wish you well.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Well that's a b****r! Are you sure about this young Graham?

We all appreciate your comments about this site, but you're one of the guys that's helped it be this way, and you'll be missed.

I also remember our meetings with fondness - I'll never forget your reactions when you first saw that Missus Santa! It took you simply ages to stop trembling enough so you could take a picture !:D (For those that missed all the excitement about this incident from many years ago, you're too young to be told the details).

I hate to see you go, but if this is the right decision for you, then so be it. You take good care of yourself and enjoy your life and the hobbies you have chosen.

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
its always a shame to see someone leave the hobby but best of luck with your photograhy

dont forget where we are, always good to drop in every now and then and say hello

so.............do we all get to come round and pillage your stash since its now surplus to requirements? :p:p:p:p

T

Trekkie_John

Well Graham, what can i say mate! Think everyone will miss you budy i know i will, we've had some fun (as Centurion3RTR) ;).

Hope you have all success for the future and all the best to you and yours. But remember, there is always a place at the table for you matey.

And as always, have fun,

John

dave

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Sorry to see you go, enjoy the photography and videography. Do come back and post if you things will be of interest.

peterairfix

SMF Supporter
First Name
peter
Always sad to see a member leaving but I wish you well in your next venture.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
This is sad news, Graham.

We joined S.M around the same time, didn't we? Along the way we've had some good crack together, and the odd 'disagreement';), but that's life....

I'll miss you, good buddy. Please drop in now and again, if only to say "Hello and how are you all?"

Take care and let's just say 'abientot'.......

Ron

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Sorry to learn you are putting the plastic and paints aside.
I hope that you enjoy the photography and I also hope that you will look in once and a while to say hi and help out a bit with photo questions...

F

Fenlander

Thanks a lot guys for your great comments. A few of you may know that Photography has been a hobby of mine for far too many years but I am fairly new to videography. Just to make it harder for myself, I am working on a Nature/wildlife project and I know absolutely nothing about it so steep learning curves coming my way.

I have decided to hang on to about six kits, quite small apart from a single truck kit that I bought a load of third party stuff for from abroad. I doubt I will ever build it but it is a special kit and, who knows what the future will bring regarding my arthritic knees. Just over a year ago, I was so bad that I bought a small mobility scooter to get around town etc. Now I am regularly walking four to six miles with a bag full of camera gear. I have done this myself as I was given no treatment when they discovered how damaged my right knee was.

I have to be realistic though and I know that if I do something stupid, I will be back on that scooter again and if that happens, modelling may be the only thing that I will be able to preserve my sanity with. None of the tools are going as they are all useful in other things.

Ron, you joined just before me and you were a mod when I joined. We have had some interesting creative differences but I firmly believe that your approach to modelling in keeping it simple and just producing beautiful dioramas from what you have to hand puts you up there with the best. And, if anyone says modelling cannot be done without an airbrush, you seriously need to study Ron’s work!

Don’t believe wat Dave says about the ‘Mrs Christmas’ incident..... although it will be true what he tells you, it was a stunning, if a little sexy, piece of figure painting and yes, I was totally in love with it lol.

So, that is about it. I have an emergency stash, the rest has all but gone, and I have my tools but while I have my health and mobility, I will be out there in the open air in all weathers.

Thanks a lot guys, I will indeed keep looking by to see what you are up to.

Best wishes to you all and the forum

Graham (Fenlander)

Peej

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
All the best with your next ventures.