LEOPOLD, German railway gun 28cm.

First Name
John
Ok peeps long time no see.
Not built any military kits for some time so I thought I would give this one a go.
Fingers X.
LEOPOLD Rail gun.jpg
In the box art there doesn't seem to be a loco pushing it, is this right or is the rear unit which seems to have an engine in it do the pushing, I thought it might just be for the hydraulics to operate the gun.

John

First Name
Steven
Interesting project John, as far as I know these were moved by a locomotive, but railguns are not my speciality...

Have fun, cheers Steven ;)

First Name
John
Interesting project John, as far as I know these were moved by a locomotive, but railguns are not my speciality...

Have fun, cheers Steven ;)
Thanks Steven thought this might be the case, i'll have to look into getting a loco for it.
Thanks again John.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
First Name
Dave
They were towed around by locomotives. I believe the unit at the back is a small ammo store although I suppose there would be machinery in there too.

I built this some years ago although I no longer have it thanks to my pussycats! Apart from the steps on the sides it's the closest to a shake and bake kit that you're likely to find! Enjoy!

First Name
John
They were towed around by locomotives. I believe the unit at the back is a small ammo store although I suppose there would be machinery in there too.

I built this some years ago although I no longer have it thanks to my pussycats! Apart from the steps on the sides it's the closest to a shake and bake kit that you're likely to find! Enjoy!
Hi Gern closer inspection of the rear unit shows two exhaust pips cumming from the unit but there is no space for storage to be seen, so I would assume it is the engine to run the lifting ram's onthe gun.

John

Steve Jones

Apprentice Bodger
First Name
Steve
I hope they help John

Attachments

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
First Name
Dave
Hi Gern closer inspection of the rear unit shows two exhaust pips cumming from the unit but there is no space for storage to be seen, so I would assume it is the engine to run the lifting ram's onthe gun.

John
I was only going on the Hasegawa 1/72 version which shows the crane lifting a shell out of that unit, I don't know from personal research. My apologies if I've led you astray John. There's definitely an engine of some description in there, and as the thing was towed by locomotives, I suspect you're correct about it being the power source for the elevating rams.

Mini Me

First Name
Rick
John,
Great start on the Railgun. I have a set in 1-87 scale that comes with 2 diesel locomotives and several other cars. (posted below) As I understand it these are supposed to represent Oernstein-Koppel model C14 40 tonners.
Hope this helps. Rick H. P1010548.JPG P1010547.JPG

Jakko

SMF Poster
First Name
Jakko
I was only going on the Hasegawa 1/72 version which shows the crane lifting a shell out of that unit
As I recall from articles about other K5 kits, Hasegawa got that part completely wrong by assuming it was ammunition storage.

First Name
John
I was only going on the Hasegawa 1/72 version which shows the crane lifting a shell out of that unit, I don't know from personal research. My apologies if I've led you astray John. There's definitely an engine of some description in there, and as the thing was towed by locomotives, I suspect you're correct about it being the power source for the elevating rams.
No problem Gern, it's no biggy hope to get started soon.

John.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
Staff member
First Name
Ron
Hi John.
Great to have you back and posting again.

I couldn't resist posting the picture below. I took it when I visited Normandy some 4 years ago. Just look what they used as the gun barrel support then!

Normandy  France May 2013 1127 (2).jpg

Good luck with the build.
Ron