liquid mask

Peej

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
I have just seen an advert in a modelling magazine for liquid mask. The ad was vague about what this product is for although it is apparently becoming very popular. I have never come across it before and was hoping for some enlightenment about it.

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Paint on masking. Paint it on what you don't want covered in paint. Let it dry (it's like a thin rubber). Paint then peel the mask. :smiling3:

Peej

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Thanks for that. I might get some to help painting canopies easier.

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
I've only built one aircraft, but it's what I used for the canopy. I've got an ancient bottle of Bob Dively liquid mask left over from my RC days. It's at least 15 years old. :D

First Name
colin
Paul just be careful which one you buy some types don't work to well. I use Vallejo and up till now its been ok .
I used maskol on Tamiya and that was a nightmare it pulled the paint off I was trying to protect.

Peej

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
The stuff in the advert is by a guy called Adam Wilder who does them in different colours.
Thanks for the advice col.

J

John Rixon

I use it a lot, especially when pre painting components prior to attaching them , it is great for leaving a bare patch for glue! However, I'm waiting for the day when someone makes a truly water soluble one, that can be painted on as accurately as paint! With all the ones I've tried, you have to use a wet brush, and must wash it after, say, 3 brush strokes, when it starts setting in the brush. One day...!

J

John Rixon

...but never let your sable brushes near the stuff, thank god for Boldmere brushes, cheap enough to sling after a few uses!

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
I use maskol. but I never use a brush. Tooth pick or something similar works for me. One thing though. I have read that if you dip your canopy in 'Klear' DON'T use maskol over it. The maskol will react with the 'Klear'.

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I use maskol. but I never use a brush. Tooth pick or something similar works for me. One thing though. I have read that if you dip your canopy in 'Klear' DON'T use maskol over it. The maskol will react with the 'Klear'.

It works fine with Humbrol Clear in my experience.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
It works fine with Humbrol Clear in my experience.
It's the Johnsons 'Klear' I've read about - hence the spelling of 'Klear' - I wish they would have just used the word 'clear' !

First Name
colin
Apparently maskol has ammonia in it and it attacks acrylic paints.
That would explain why it doesn't work certain brands. Oh well you live and learn.

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
I've used Maskol over Klear (before I read the instructions!) and it seemed to work OK.

Pete

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin